How did you learn to edit?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Self taught. I might have watched 1 or 2 tutorials for things that I didn't understand, but otherwise, I've learned on my own.

MadJack

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I mainly started doing editing when applying for a college course in Media Studies. Over the years the college has taught me about editing and cinematography, but also I have watched a lot of videos on the fly and use techniques and inspirations from them videos to put into mine. It's seriously helped and since I am a student I am able to get the adobe cloud much cheaper than a normal person would which is top!

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I learned last year with Imoive. I just started playing around with it, then watching videos. Still not the best at it.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started with adobe premiere and after effects, then when I started my YouTube channel I edited with Vegas. Now I am back on the Adobe Suite. Had to get back. It edits slower, but renders way better. And it's futureproof. If I upgrade to 4K my software is already there. My hardware might not be (which is why a switch to 4K is not in the cards right now. It requires 3 action cams, a camera body and a new PC with more horsepower).

MrWhiskers

FreakStyle Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I taught myself almost everything I know how to do things, I remember when I was first starting recording & editing videos (non-youtube) I was using Windows Movie Maker then moved up into the world and got into Adobe Premiere, and just self-taught all the tools and functions of it and now I'm here.

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The easiest way to learn is by doing. When I first made my youtube channel 4 years ago I hardly edited. Now Ive simply done stuff myself. I dont just use what everyone else uses. I use what makes sense to me. In this case it is an app called Kine Master. It works good for my needs, and I discover new features frequently even if they have been out for a while.

TheToastGamer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly it was a mixture of trial and error & YouTube to help me get editing. But it also depends on what you use! For example I use Sony vegas pro 14 & at first it was so daunting, but now it's pretty easy, just learn as you go along & if there's something specific you want to do then YouTube it & then at least you'll remember that for next time!

Also if you need help just ask :)

Jonatan Moser

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I just kinda taught myself... I wanted to make multitrack videos, so I started to research what software that could offer that... And from there on out I just experimented, but of course I also drew inspiration from others creators' finished products. No need to invent the wheel all over again ;-)

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started playing around with it when I was about 13. It takes me about like 20 minutes to fully comprehend an editing software. So basically I am self taught, the easiest way to learn to edit is actually by playing around with a video.