How did you get better at editing?

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks, I do watch a lot of videos of some pretty amazing edits, but I have no clue how they are doing it. I like the whip transition but can't figure that one out.
Just do a quick Google search or look on YouTube, there are some good tutorials on how to do that transition.

unevenflaps

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some really great advice here, generally anything i've learned is through tutorials but also you'll develop a sense of what effects to use and when, videos where the editing stands out usually emphasise the purpose of the video, for example funny moments videos only containing the most relevant footage to keep the focus. Or for example the frankie videos where he adds cinematic shots, numerous sound effects etc to increase the atmospheric feel of the game to achieve a more movie like state. Basically a big part of editing is not just what you know but knowing when to apply it to avoid the editing taking away focus or relying on editing to make up for a lack of focus

Raid MusicHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can watch editing tutorials video from YouTube. It takes a lot of time to learn and practice, but it is very worth it to try and you can learn a lot from tutorials ;)

Selim Keles

Nap King
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
i got better just with using the software more and more i watched like a few videos for certain things i wanted to do but thats about it just constantly used it and picked new stuff up and eventually learnt how to use it pretty decently. used it since 2015 i think so i have had time to get good haha but if your in a rush google and YT have good tutorials

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
It depends really whether you mean better in terms of increasing your technical skills or better in terms of making your videos look good. if your talking technically then it takes practice, patience and time really...I've been doing it now for close to 11 years (7 of which I've been doing it for a living) and im still learning as I go along :) the longer you do it and the more hours you put in the faster and more efficient your editing will be...it's also good to look into edit workflows and making sure your organizing your footage well to help minimize time-wasting.

If your talking about making your videos look better then the answers a bit more vague because theres no real hard and fast rules on what makes something look good and whats been edited badly you can be absolutely technically sound and still turn out bad content as much as you could not have a clue how to edit and by chance turn out a viral video...its more subjective than grounded...so all I can really say is trial and error, make something. if it looks good take it apart and figure out why it looked good. if it didnt look good, take it apart and figure out why it failed. then next time try again using what you've learnt :)