How did you get better at editing?

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Ive been trying to watch videos to be able to edit better. Just wondering where you learned to edit better?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've been doing it for around 10 years now. It just takes practice and time

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Practice makes perfect.

I first learnt editing when i was in middle school screwing with windows movie maker and then graduated to sony vegas. A lot of practice and dedication will get you far.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You could watch tutorials but better than that IMHO is observing how videos, TV shows and movies etc are edited. Observe the timing, the type of music they use, the B-roll between main scenes, the camera angles etc etc. Watch a show like "Real housewives of wherever" - It's a crappy show obv but usually very well edited because they have to fit hours of filming into 40 minutes.

Gate of Theories

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tutorials are great. But honestly just mess around with new things and with practice you'll get better.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Consistency is key! I also chose a program that I am semi familiar with. Since I am used to Adobe's applications interface, it didn't take me long to get accustom to Adobe Premiere, and now I can't live without it!

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Practice of course. Also, watching other similar content teaches you many things as well. I switched from Sony Vegas to Adobe Premiere and my video quality increased, solely because I felt more comfortable in the new program. That’s personal preference though.

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Practice over time and you'll get better, after watching a bunch of tutorials I now watch TV shows a lot differently, I watch how they did their edit and what shots they are using, and I take from that and try to improve my own stuff.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ditto for the above.

Be ruthless. Cut out the flab.

A long video isn't necessarily a good video.

So chop chop chop until it's just how YOU would like it.

Rob

Reactions: WebSam

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks, I do watch a lot of videos of some pretty amazing edits, but I have no clue how they are doing it. I like the whip transition but can't figure that one out.