How did you do it? How did you get your Subscribers?

ThioJoe

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I see this question a lot and the answer is quite simple. Make videos people will share with their friends.

Reactions: DefyTalk

GGHD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have 840+ and am gaining 11+ subs per day. While you're a smaller channel, take some chances uploading some different unique videos. Then continue doing what works. For example, I did a case review one day and got great responses. Now I review at least one case every week and my subs know that I do this.

IMO it's less about the number of subs and more about views and "real" subs that continue coming back to your channel.

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see this question a lot and the answer is quite simple. Make videos people will share with their friends.
^ This

And to your Twitter and Facebook stuff, make sure you are trying to expand them. Yes your dedicated fans will follow you but make sure your tweets and posts are entertaining. Make sure you use hashtags, worldwide trends correctly.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
^ This

And to your Twitter and Facebook stuff, make sure you are trying to expand them. Yes your dedicated fans will follow you but make sure your tweets and posts are entertaining. Make sure you use hashtags, worldwide trends correctly.
I personally don't rely on social networking. For people to share, you need a following already. Of course if you get one on YouTube, people will then follow you on social networking. I have always seen these things as something to get up once you've got the following (you can tweet all you want but with 4 followers who sub you on YT anyway, it's unlikely you'll get much by way of promo).

That's just me though, maybe it works for others :)

ThatIsMyTake

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I have one channel with 600+ subscribers but that's a 4 year old channel so it just was a slow process that definitely was assisted by the fact that the YouTube community was in its prime when I started. As for this channel, I've gained 44 in about a week and a half and its just from having good content to be honest. And these forums. :p

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally don't rely on social networking. For people to share, you need a following already. Of course if you get one on YouTube, people will then follow you on social networking. I have always seen these things as something to get up once you've got the following (you can tweet all you want but with 4 followers who sub you on YT anyway, it's unlikely you'll get much by way of promo).

That's just me though, maybe it works for others :)
Here is how I think of it. I am a wrestling fan. When I was younger, I was a fan of guys like Stone Cold and The Rock. I always wondered what they were up to. Now they have Twitter's and they tell their fans what's up, not only talking about wrestling. The Rock will post pictures, show where he is, talk to his fans, make some commentary, etc. So think of it that way. Think your followers are there to see what's up with you. Also sometimes if you make a funny tweet or facebook post that has nothing to do with your YouTube comment, your fans retweet it or share it out, which goes out to more people. Then if you use the Worldwide Trends as extra commentary you will be in the list of people who posted tweets and a worldwide amount of people will see you. You get what I mean? It is not just about promoting your work on YouTube, it's about you promoting you as a whole. Don't think you only need "YouTube subscribers." Get every type of fan you can.

LabJapan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey John and Ken, I just spent about 30 minutes watching some of your videos and I thin they are GREAT!!!! They are actually pretty funny. I loved the Thanksgiving Football one, the mic on the end of the world started to mess up about half way through but nothing major. I am watching the global warming one now Funny stuff really. It seems like a great show and I can't believe that you have so few views and subs. So I guess the gist of the show is that viewers ask you questions and you answer them. So If I were to send you a question would you answer it? I live in Japan by the way.

If you guys agree to answer my question then I will put the episode on my facebook fan page (over 3000 likes) and also find a way to throw you a promotion on one of my upcoming videos. I am not huge by any means, 7000 subscribers and like 1.3 million views but it should help you out a little for some exposure.

Shoot me a PM here if you are interested. Also I have subbed. Great show really enjoy it.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Really the only place YTtalkTV has been promoted on is here within the video forums, one link in the header which was fairly recently added and also promotion through Facebook but mostly to our members who are already aware of the channel, oh and a little bit on Twitter.

Chef Kendra

Chef and Video Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try and make good content first, then I ask for friends, family, and twitter followers to look at my stuff. They watch my stuff and at the end I ask for their likes, subs, and shares. But I have to say this, I have a couple of YouTube big guys in my niche and when they swing by and leave a comment my subs go up for 2 or 3 days and that's awesome of them. Why do they do it? Because I like their stuff and commented on their videos. Plus, they are nice people. I did not ask them to "please check out my video" either. I wasn't trying to get noticed, I commented because they're stuff was awesome and I respected what they were doing. So you might want to make sure you add to conversations of people doing cool stuff like. Now, don't be all super fanboy or stalky with it.

Summary
I ask friends, family, pinterest and twitter followers to look at my stuff
If they stick around to the end of the video I ask them to sub, like, and subscribe
I comment on "big guys" YouTube channels if I'm diggin their stuff, but I never ask them to do anything, if I become a real member of their community they MIGHT check me out
If someone big watches your videos/comments your subs will go up for several days

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
I try and make good content first, then I ask for friends, family, and twitter followers to look at my stuff. They watch my stuff and at the end I ask for their likes, subs, and shares. But I have to say this, I have a couple of YouTube big guys in my niche and when they swing by and leave a comment my subs go up for 2 or 3 days and that's awesome of them. Why do they do it? Because I like their stuff and commented on their videos. Plus, they are nice people. I did not ask them to "please check out my video" either. I wasn't trying to get noticed, I commented because they're stuff was awesome and I respected what they were doing. So you might want to make sure you add to conversations of people doing cool stuff like. Now, don't be all super fanboy or stalky with it.

Summary
I ask friends, family, pinterest and twitter followers to look at my stuff
If they stick around to the end of the video I ask them to sub, like, and subscribe
I comment on "big guys" YouTube channels if I'm diggin their stuff, but I never ask them to do anything, if I become a real member of their community they MIGHT check me out
If someone big watches your videos/comments your subs will go up for several days
We do the same thing.. Our Mom's love our show.