How did you discover your brand/niche?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
In my personal life, I write and direct plays, but that requires actors, and I don't have a group of actors who would be able to do daily/weekly videos with me, so I found puppets have helped me have a cast of characters (about 30 so far) I can work with. Also, my partner is a puppeteer and he won't appear on camera as himself, but he's more than happy to play a multitude of characters who happen to be made out of felt.

Reactions: itsmicjames

Olivea-Sea

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have no idea what my direction is or what my brand/niche is. How did you discover yours?
You know what I always thought I exactly knew what my niche was, I studied creative study's ever since I remember and because I always was told that I was so good at it I enjoyed the recognition. I saw it as my own personal niche, but later on in life I realized that it was never my dream or destiny. As soon as I started in Art-school the recognition stopped and I couldn't find my own joy anymore, it became a chore and the less happy I became the more difficult it was and here is where I found my true niche.

Trying to escape form my reality searching for something that distracted me from the unhappy world I was in, made me come to realize that I loved makeup and it made me happy and interested for a million of reasons. It become such a big part of my life that I started a YTchannel out of fun and it turned into a life changing decision to quit my creative studies and pursue a life as a Makeup Artist. (starting the 26th JEEEJ!)

And I think I never would have realized it if I never had a hard time pursuing creative studies. I think I'd never realized that I love makeup so much because I never saw it as an option. My surroundings expected me to go into a higher education and where only supporting of creative studies or something that had a higher appeal to them and it that way I really feel like I lost the option to really look around because I was always pressured into getting that higher degree instead of finding out what was out there for me.

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think mine stems from playing video games in my younger years. I would film ourselves playing impossible to beat video games, PC upgrade components and software I find on the internet. Once I started getting lots of views on the videos where I would hack or cheat in a video game it would get pretty popular. So I stuck with that formula, video game hacks and mods for PC or console.

Firefly0037

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel like a lot of the answers have the same meaning behind them: it comes naturally. For me? I'm just the type of person who loves to hang out with people and be chill with them, but I also love furthering some part of other people. So my "niche" became just that for a gaming channel. I picked a game I knew I was good at, invited people along for the ride, and I show them things that would help them in their gaming career or hobby with that game. And if I'm not playing that game on my channel, then we all get to experience something new together. I love that dynamic.

Pick something you're really good at, or two things maybe, and invite people along for the ride who share the same passion as you.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
One day I came across an internet meme called "X in G Major". People would take videos, invert the colors, and do some audio editing to it. People thought it sounded really creepy and demented. I was intrigued by it, but it sounded more like a weird muffled robotic alien chipmunks sound than something creepy. I decided to try my hand at it, editing the video to make it look creepier and cleaning up and refining the audio edits to one that was a lot clearer and focused just on the tense, creepy aspect of it. I had to call it something besides "G Major", so I decided on "Horror Version" because it was my vision of what the video would look and sound like if it was created in an alternate horror dimension.

I just did a couple of them and left it at that. But one of them really took off and I decided to monetize and began to make a thing of it.

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like driving and hiking in scenic areas, so I just started recording it, throw in some editing, and there it is. Something like this has to be a passion otherwise you wont get much from it, including money haha.

The Cold Abyss

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would just experiment and see what you like to do and enjoy the most. Lets say for example you like games then maybe gaming would be it. I love gaming( mostly the fighting genre) especially the competitive element to games its just so fun! (=