How common is it for a brand new youtube channel's video to get ZERO views???

Solo Feeders

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With good SEO, you can probably get recommended on a larger channel with similar content. Thats what helped me. My channel is small, but I rank high in searches due to good SEO and long and specific tags.

Reactions: Gaijillionaire

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
How do I go about making a hot button topic? Sorry for my ignorant question... but are you referring to making a video on a controversial topic to pull in more viewers? Thanks.
Here's exactly what happened to me. I made a video about a game called Luigi mansion. I used the keywords Luigi mansion game Japan translation Nintendo arcade let's play. That game was new at the time and so there were similar videos that would suggest it. It had multiple keywords that were different enough to pull in searches from different interests. I had ZERO subs that weren't friends and it got 1000 views in a few days

so think of 7-8 words that aren't too similar put them in title, etc and say these words in the video too. it will make its way in the system. I have 40 videos and ALL of them get views daily. Some get 200 others get 5 a day, but they all get something

Doesn't have to be controversial, just active. World Series would be a good active topic this time of year. The history of washing machines 1800-1850 would likely not be.

If you told us what you wanted to do specifically we could help more[DOUBLEPOST=1507079333,1507079226][/DOUBLEPOST]
With good SEO, you can probably get recommended on a larger channel with similar content. Thats what helped me. My channel is small, but I rank high in searches due to good SEO and long and specific tags.
This is the way. You'll always get suggested by someone as YouTube wants to keep viewers watching and if they know you'll click something similar they'll suggest it, maybe yours.

The problem is people imitate videos they see on the front page and put a title like "my crazy Monday - channel name - emoji " with no real tags or description and the video dies out quickly

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is SO much content out there that getting any views is tough. Promotion is a big part. Sometime you get lucky. But over time you will develop a following and things will grow. The rate is dependent.

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Doesn't have to be controversial, just active. World Series would be a good active topic this time of year. The history of washing machines 1800-1850 would likely not be.
But that was such a pivotal era of washing machine history! Man... now I gotta re-record my video for this week...

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So sorry if I'm posting this in wrong section. I'm curious... if someone has a brand new youtube channel and they just uploaded a video (they have tags for their video) how common is it for the video to get ZERO views? I read somewhere on google that on average most videos never even get seen by anyone, yikes!
It should have at least 1 view - you should really view your whole video on upload to see if there are any issues.
And of course Mom/Gf/Bf/Bffs should at least support in the beginning, so that's another 3-5 views right there.
After that, you have to work for views. And it's pretty damn hard work these days.

Reactions: JackJack

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
When I first started my views were very low. Not saying they are high now, far from it, but by paying attention to a few important things and promoting the right way things start to look better

A few key points to get you going:

Channel art and Thumbnails
Make sure you have appealing art that matches what your channel is about. Thumbnails need to be informative and appealing at the same time.

Upload frequently
As a new channel you should try to put out quality content as often as possible. After a while once you build up some subscribers and views you can work out an upload schedule that works for you. But still, even with a schedule, I think when you're in the starting blocks, more is better.

Promote your videos
Golden rule is not to spam your links around. You'll need to get involved in the different communities that will be valuable for your content.
I'll split this up in a few bullet points for the different social media:

• Facebook: Join facebook groups and bring valuable replies / post to their groups. Make yourself look interesting and helpful. Actually, don't just make yourself look it, be it.
    Create a page for your channel and spread the word about it. When you give somebody a helpful reply tag your page at the end of your comment. Somebody might say "hey, this was a really good reply, this is good info" and check your page out.
  • Twitter: Twitter is known to be a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" community. Not saying that counts for all it's members, but on Twitter you'll see a lot of "follow me and I'll follow you back". Don't go that road. Follow people you are genuinely interested in and interact with them.
    Twitter is brilliant to find other youtubers in your niche. Interact with them, learn from them, support them and automatically you'll get a boost in views from that.
    Apart from promoting your own content on twitter you should try to tweet about other things as well, try to get noticed.

• Reddit: Reddit can be tricky. Of all social media, reddit will be the most unforgiving about walking in and spamming your links. A lot of subreddits will not hesitate to ban you for it. There are subreddits where they allow you to post your links without giving back to the community, although I can't say how beneficial it will be for your channel.
    Again, find the right subreddits and interact with the community. When the opportunity is there inform other people about your content.
    In my opinion it's probably better to make a text post including a youtube link than to post a youtube link with just a title. As an example, if you have some good info about topic X, make a thorough post on reddit while including "if you prefer to watch than read, feel free to check out my video". This will come over better than just post your link.
    Keep in mind that reddit is mainly about communities, not about self promotion.
    But while this may be so, posting the right stuff in the right subreddits will give your views a massive boost.

• Youtube: Last but not least. Good titles, good tags and a good description are all important. Apart from that you need to also interact with the youtube community. Watch other videos and write good comments. I'm not talking about the generic "great video" comment. Giving support to other youtubers will get noticed and eventually people will start finding their way to your channel.
TLDR: Appealing channel art and thumbnails, frequent quality uploads, to the point promotion without spamming, no sub4sub.

This should get the ball rolling, good luck!

Thanks for your in depth post... you made some good point! :)

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So sorry if I'm posting this in wrong section. I'm curious... if someone has a brand new youtube channel and they just uploaded a video (they have tags for their video) how common is it for the video to get ZERO views? I read somewhere on google that on average most videos never even get seen by anyone, yikes!
very common. you are a drip in an ocean of online videos...more videos you make/the larger your following gets the more you are noticed.