How common is it for a brand new youtube channel's video to get ZERO views???

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
So sorry if I'm posting this in wrong section. I'm curious... if someone has a brand new youtube channel and they just uploaded a video (they have tags for their video) how common is it for the video to get ZERO views? I read somewhere on google that on average most videos never even get seen by anyone, yikes!

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I first started my channel I got zero views until I joined this forum! I think it is really common! But I am not that good at tagging either! So that may be my issue!

LivingWithTheGuzmans

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So sorry if I'm posting this in wrong section. I'm curious... if someone has a brand new youtube channel and they just uploaded a video (they have tags for their video) how common is it for the video to get ZERO views? I read somewhere on google that on average most videos never even get seen by anyone, yikes!
It's very common you have to build your channel yourself don't sit and wait for views to come go and get them.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the YouTube chat / gossip discussion forum. ^_^

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yes because no one knows you and knows you are there. Make a hot button topic and you will get views. My first video got 50 views in a month but the next got 1000 in a week

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a new channel with more videos than total views!

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes because no one knows you and knows you are there. Make a hot button topic and you will get views. My first video got 50 views in a month but the next got 1000 in a week
How do I go about making a hot button topic? Sorry for my ignorant question... but are you referring to making a video on a controversial topic to pull in more viewers? Thanks.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I haven't had zero views, but most of my views comes from friends.

JuriKaGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I first started my views were very low. Not saying they are high now, far from it, but by paying attention to a few important things and promoting the right way things start to look better

A few key points to get you going:

Channel art and Thumbnails
Make sure you have appealing art that matches what your channel is about. Thumbnails need to be informative and appealing at the same time.

Upload frequently
As a new channel you should try to put out quality content as often as possible. After a while once you build up some subscribers and views you can work out an upload schedule that works for you. But still, even with a schedule, I think when you're in the starting blocks, more is better.

Promote your videos
Golden rule is not to spam your links around. You'll need to get involved in the different communities that will be valuable for your content.
I'll split this up in a few bullet points for the different social media:

• Facebook: Join facebook groups and bring valuable replies / post to their groups. Make yourself look interesting and helpful. Actually, don't just make yourself look it, be it.
    Create a page for your channel and spread the word about it. When you give somebody a helpful reply tag your page at the end of your comment. Somebody might say "hey, this was a really good reply, this is good info" and check your page out.
  • Twitter: Twitter is known to be a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" community. Not saying that counts for all it's members, but on Twitter you'll see a lot of "follow me and I'll follow you back". Don't go that road. Follow people you are genuinely interested in and interact with them.
    Twitter is brilliant to find other youtubers in your niche. Interact with them, learn from them, support them and automatically you'll get a boost in views from that.
    Apart from promoting your own content on twitter you should try to tweet about other things as well, try to get noticed.

• Reddit: Reddit can be tricky. Of all social media, reddit will be the most unforgiving about walking in and spamming your links. A lot of subreddits will not hesitate to ban you for it. There are subreddits where they allow you to post your links without giving back to the community, although I can't say how beneficial it will be for your channel.
    Again, find the right subreddits and interact with the community. When the opportunity is there inform other people about your content.
    In my opinion it's probably better to make a text post including a youtube link than to post a youtube link with just a title. As an example, if you have some good info about topic X, make a thorough post on reddit while including "if you prefer to watch than read, feel free to check out my video". This will come over better than just post your link.
    Keep in mind that reddit is mainly about communities, not about self promotion.
    But while this may be so, posting the right stuff in the right subreddits will give your views a massive boost.

• Youtube: Last but not least. Good titles, good tags and a good description are all important. Apart from that you need to also interact with the youtube community. Watch other videos and write good comments. I'm not talking about the generic "great video" comment. Giving support to other youtubers will get noticed and eventually people will start finding their way to your channel.

TLDR: Appealing channel art and thumbnails, frequent quality uploads, to the point promotion without spamming, no sub4sub.

This should get the ball rolling, good luck!