How can I share video files with an editor?

HeroRareheart

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi, im kinda new to youtube only been doing this about a year or so. I have a few friends who want to edit for me which is great because im a procrastinator who sucks at editing and I barely have enough time to record let alone edit anyhow. This would be great if I actually knew how to quickly share files with them. We don't live together so I can't use a homegroup and I don't have money for a paid service. any recommended methods of file sharing?

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Dropbox... google drive?
I tried that but the storage limit wouldn't allow me to upload my video files.
I would also recommend Dropbox. However, the free Dropbox only limits you to like less than 10GB of space. And I'm sure if you're shooting in high definition you'll go over that extremely quickly. Mega.nz is another service that is basically the same thing as Dropbox, however it offers 50GB of free upload space. Enjoy :)

HeroRareheart

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would also recommend Dropbox. However, the free Dropbox only limits you to like less than 10GB of space. And I'm sure if you're shooting in high definition you'll go over that extremely quickly. is another service that is basically the same thing as Dropbox, however it offers 50GB of free upload space. Enjoy :)
Ill give Mega.nz a shot, that's quite a bit more space.

Reactions: Brandon

Therealkojr

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do your friends live relatively close to you? I know my bud was wanting to edit for me and we were talking about just putting the videos i wanted edited on a thumb drive. He lives really close to me so i could just walk over to his house and give him the videos.
My upload speed is kind of bad though so its faster for me to just walk them over to him than to upload the video somewhere to send it so him.

HeroRareheart

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do your friends live relatively close to you? I know my bud was wanting to edit for me and we were talking about just putting the videos i wanted edited on a thumb drive. He lives really close to me so i could just walk over to his house and give him the videos.
My upload speed is kind of bad though so its faster for me to just walk them over to him than to upload the video somewhere to send it so him.
One of them lives a few streets down, its like a 5 minute drive. The other guy lives like an hour drive away so that wont work for him.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Free Dropbox with 10GB?! Mine only has 2GB!

This issue is as old as mankind itself..
One method is to host your own server (which I do), but even then, that only solves half the problem. The other half is getting the giJigabytes of video uploaded to the server..
In my case it would be faster to put all the video on some thumb drives or a big external drive and drive it over to the guy.. 2 states away...

Boozehounds

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
One thing you can also do is create lower quality proxies to share with them, if you don't mind then having to do the final render yourself.

If you use Premiere, it even supports proxy creation directly which is pretty cool. Otherwise, can always just Handbrake the files.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
DropBox or GoogleDrive would be the best options IMHO. GoogleDrive comes with 15GB of free space and then it's like $3 / month for 100GB