How can I protect my video ? propriety

alex1888

Reaction score
Hello, if I upload a video, how can I protect it from others to steal and re-upload it and say it's theirs ? do I need to put a special watermark ? thanks

Reactions: hvyhvy

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
You can add a watermark to video in youtube itself ( or you maybe might want to put one to your video while editing). Go to creator studio -> channel -> branding. Now you can add the watermark and choose the time when it shall show up in your video.

Reactions: Crown

alex1888

Reaction score
What if someone crops the watermark out, uploads it and says it s theirs ?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You could use a watermark or overlay your channel name so that it appears on screen at all times.

Reactions: hvyhvy

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
if you use the youtube branding watermark that only shows up if you watch the video in youtube. If someone uses a website to download your video the watermark wont appear. For a permanent watermark you have to burn it into the orginal video when you save the file mp4. You may not want to do that though because if you don't like your branding or want to change it in the future your old videos will have a watermark on them that you don't like. Unless you want to reupload a new edit but then you'd loose your views. You are quote well protected anyway if you upload to youtube. It recognises if someone tries to upload a copy of the same video. If you spot your video elsewhere you caan challenge that. I had 2 copied/stolen videos removed from facebook this week. Its easy to prove you are the originator of the work when you have all the unedited raw footage etc. No one else has that!.

Ricky Alv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube content id detects whether a video is copyright or not and takes it down or not depending on the specifications of the real owner. This is what it does when your video is being processed. If you happen to find someone that is ripping off your content and hasn’t been taken down you can contact Youtube directly about the issue. Remember to read about fair use before you do that.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are several solutions provided by YouTube to protect content that is legally yours.

First solution, that is available to everyone, even to people who don't have YouTube channels is filling a DMCA notice to the video you believe infringes your copyright. YouTube will review the notice and eventually remove the video, plus issue a strike to the account who stole your content. This solution really helped me a lot, even if it is slow and clumsy - manually finding re-uploads, filling notices etc..

Second solution that is only available to big content owners is ContentID where re-uploads are detected automatically and the copyright holder or manager can decide what to do in a case of stolen content.

Of course there are other solutions, like directly contacting the re-uploader or his manager and resolving the issue between each other.

With my experience, watermarks won't stop people from re-uploading your videos. Some of my videos are re-uploaded as a whole, including everything from beginning to end, and some people even do compilations of several videos at once.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think a watermark is what most Youtubers use:) I also start many of my videos with writing my channel name right across the schreen (I make animation videos, so it is removed again) but that way way no none is in doubt that it my channel/video:) That being said I have never seen any of my videos stolen and re-upload