How Can I Improve? All Constructive Criticism Welcome!

LewisPlays

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I have just started YouTube and have been trying to upload reguarly, when I watch my videos back myself I cannot see what is wrong with them so I was hoping to get some help here on YTtalk. Please don't straight out hate, constructive criticism only :)

Thank you to all in advance!

MC'01

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
  • There aren't too much emotions in your videos.
  • You should edit your videos - for example add some music, cut some of boring parts.
  • You should definitely buy a standalone mic, because your headset one is... crappy :-D

Reactions: LewisPlays

TeddieCakes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Heya!

I am going to share this reddit link to another YouTuber's post on critique. In the post it addresses the same exact points with him just as with your video. I will copy paste the response, but if you like head over there to see the original article, as well as, the other redditors comments:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Title: Started Recording Around 2 Month Ago. What do you think? Where can I improve?
Original Poster: TheMavel
URL: https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsPlayCritiques/comments/5upbxy/started_recording_around_2_month_ago_what_do_you/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My reply:

"
Heya, just happend to stumble upon your post!

So, first off I am new as well and am not able to give great suggestions or advice, but hope my perspective can help your with experimenting.

What the other redditors mentioned is exactly what popped in my mind as well:

1. [m0nkeypantz mentioned] Your audio is good, but your voice and expressions seem contradictory. I am the same way and I have noticed improvement in speech during my first month recording videos. Depending on what type of person you want to express yourself as, just practice on exactly that. Try to attack your recordings as if you are speaking to a friend sitting next to you or you want to engage your subscribers much more, because of their constant support. That helped me a lot as I got to know each subscriber more and more (I would message and keep up to date with them since my channel is about collabs and improvement). I became more "personal" with them and due to this my recordings felt more relaxed, open, energetic, and more fun to talk in (though my commentary sucks and my videos are boring... but those will improve over time).

2. [RiumRium mentioned] Regarding your gameplay footage your resolutions are off. There are black borders around your videos and not sure if this is because you are on an old monitor or your recording settings input and output at a specified resolution other than 1080p or 720p.

3. [MrBiggz01 mentioned] SEO. I absolutely suck and have no clue if I am doing SEO right (geez, from the amount of blog posts I read for online business and networking you would think I had a clue already...) Oh well. But yes, as with what I need to improve as well, making the videos more relate-able to search is useful. Unfrotunately, because there are so many of us posting lets plays it will just be difficult to actually get the search ranking higher. So, I would say to prioritize reading basic SEO articles (do not get overwhelmed reading everything like I do, just get the gist of it and practice) and work on networking more (such as what you are doing now: posting, commenting, helping others).
Our videos are nothing noteworthy, so it will take a long time to get a decent viewership. Take the YouTuber HoodiePanda for example. To be honest most of his videos are horrible, but because of who he is and how much passion he had to his community during his older videos I followed him and was genuinely interested in all of his videos. Nowadays he posts random videos and seems to have relaxed a bit on pushing his channel (I lost interest, unfortunately). I felt excited to help him along year/years back because he constantly updated, spoke true to his heart, spoke enthusiastically in all his videos (regardless of faking it or not... not say his was, but him being over excited made it fun), and constantly emphasized how he networked and reached out to others every single day. Something I need to work on too...

Anyways, not much more I can add, but hopefully from all our input it could lead you to improvment (yes, I genuinely mean this because my channel is about improvement and collaboration and that is the type of person I am... notice how long my reply is D: !)

Thanks for reading!"

EliteTowerStudios

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Watched your video "LewisPlays: The Forest - Part 3" and here are some thoughts
  • You introdused your self and the game you are playing, thats good
  • good video Quality
  • the audio quality is bad and that really took me out of the video
  • Did not feel like your comentary was funny or insightful
  • a lot of dead air, where you are not saying anything
  • Video is too long, cut it down to just the best parts
  • outro not very good, no annotations for anything.

Hope that helps

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The main thing that I found was the length of the video, 15 minutes is pretty long for someone to sit and watch, if you edit out the slower parts it'll make the video easier to watch, everyone has a different idea of what's a good length but I think 7 to 10 minutes works. Also try to explain more about the game as you're playing it.

Reactions: LewisPlays