How can I be good at live commentary on games

Kingjude

I have a game YouTube channel and I find it hard to do a live commentary. Please does anyone have any tip to get good at it.

I've moved this to the strategy forum. :)

My advice would be to watch/listen to videos of live commentary that you like and then try note down what it is exactly that makes the commentary good. - Examples: good voice, good intonation, good editing with the commentary, high energy, fast or slow? etc etc

And then practise, practise, practise. :)

Practice. Don't change much of your style to where you have to become a completely differently personality than your own natural personality. Work on your enunciation so people can understand you as clearly as possible. Keep things short when it should be.

I’ve gotten pretty decent at it three ways:
1) watching others stream, such as Markiplier. He is good at channeling his persona into an entertaining commentary while still being focused.
2) Practice, practice, practice. I find it’s helpful to review some of my streams after I do them, like spot check and think about what I liked and didn’t liked.
3) ask friends to watch some and give feedback on what they enjoyed and didn’t enjoy. When did they feel engaged and when did they find themselves easily distracted?

Freebie: I find my best commentary is when I can manage to keep the viewers focused on an objective while adding in comedy and personal reflections to fill the space between actually doing stuff in the game. Not every moment will be action packed explosions, so I try to go with the flow of what people are talking about in the comments and also stay aware of potential things in the game that could be comedic gold.

Hey bud! I've found that my commentaries turn out better when I write out a short script or at least have done talking points for the video.

If you're doing a live stream it often helps to have a few friends in your party to loosen you up, keep things natural and exciting. After all people want to hang out with you during a live stream. Hope that helps bud. Good luck!

Back