How age restriction flag works.

Vanilora

Reaction score
Has anyone tested this yet?

Really curious about how this is determinated. Is it after one person flags your video or is it after a certain number or does it go through some YouTube automated filter or a combination of all?

One of my recent videos got age restricted when there is really absolutely no sign why it should be age restricted. And I have two more very similar videos, with the same tags and identic titles that are doing fine (one with 800k views even). Does it really depend on a few pricks who flag your video?

YouTube should really put some transparency into their process because this is getting very discouraging. As well as they don't even mention anywhere (or at least I couldn't find it) how long does it take to review the appeal and how long you are stuck with a video you put work into being demonitized.

Thanks.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
One of my videos got flagged 4 times. First time the appeal took me 3 months so I lost a lot of ad revenue from a very popular video. I appealed all 4 times successfully, but I am rather upset that youtube didn't just have my video be immune from further flagging after they looked at it.. Swear, they do nothing to help out the content maker against bots, trolls and abusers.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They don't care about content creators, except as content creators make them money. Don't pretend they care about you at all.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
They don't care about content creators, except as content creators make them money. Don't pretend they care about you at all.
Well, I was getting 1+ million viewers per month with all original content that I made (roughly 1.5 videos a week) so I was doing well. After adpocalypse 2 years ago, I kinda was demoralized and didn't do as much.

I made another thread about demonetization.
I uploaded 9 videos. They had no tags, description, custom thumbnail and it was private. Out of 9 videos, all 9 got demonetized. I appealed all 9 and only 1 got appealed. I deleted the 8 that did not get appealed. I reuploaded the 8 and all 8 got demonetized. I appealed all 8 and 3 was appealed. I deleted the 5 that did not get appealed.
I reuploaded the 5 and all 4 got demonetized. I appealed the 4 and 3 was appealed...

Basically, almost all my videos are automatically demonetized. But the manual review process is so inconsistent that depending on which person reviewed my appeal, I can get f-cked. I am grateful that my channel is big enough to get manual reviewed within 24 hours, but I am NOT happy with the wild results on appeals.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All videos are scanned whether public or private. If there is anything that causes them to be demonetized, it doesn't matter if it's public or private, it gets marked. And whether people like it or not, some people are on YouTube's black list and almost all of their content gets automatically demonetized. There are lots of topics that they just don't like and they are absurdly biased. Like I said, YouTube doesn't care about creators. They care about people that their advertisers like.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
All videos are scanned whether public or private. If there is anything that causes them to be demonetized, it doesn't matter if it's public or private, it gets marked. And whether people like it or not, some people are on YouTube's black list and almost all of their content gets automatically demonetized. There are lots of topics that they just don't like and they are absurdly biased. Like I said, YouTube doesn't care about creators. They care about people that their advertisers like.
I am aware all videos are scanned. I had it private so I can see how many times my videos would be viewed by the reviewer. It is a damn shame that a few individuals ruined it for the rest of us =\.. and youtube had no spine back then. Being the most popular video platform in the West and rivaling/overshadowing legacy platforms like cable TV, youtube sure had no leverage or power. You'd think youtube totally ban those fellas for all the trouble they caused youtube and the rest of the content makers.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am aware all videos are scanned. I had it private so I can see how many times my videos would be viewed by the reviewer. It is a damn shame that a few individuals ruined it for the rest of us =\.. and youtube had no spine back then. Being the most popular video platform in the West and rivaling/overshadowing legacy platforms like cable TV, youtube sure had no leverage or power. You'd think youtube totally ban those fellas for all the trouble they caused youtube and the rest of the content makers.
It doesn't have to be reviewed by a reviewer, it can be reviewed by the algorithm. YouTube has always been spineless, it's just worse today. I just think it's weird how many people completely misunderstand YouTube's business model and how they operate. YouTube is not now, nor have they ever really been the friend of the content creator. The more people they monetize, the less money they get to keep. They try to talk a good game but they are not trustworthy at all. Relying on ad revenue to make a living is ridiculous. They can yank the rug out from under you for no reason tomorrow and the content creator has no recourse.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Demonetization itself is done by algorithm, you think manual review is also done by it? I uploaded some videos and set them to private so they started at 0 views. I noticed during manual review, I have 1-5 views on each of them. I suppose maybe someone (or multiple people) watched the part that triggered the demonetization by the algorithm/ai?

Well, most jobs in life or usually not permanent. Some jobs last a few years, some jobs last your whole life but you get yanked before you can retire and some lasts until you die. I could have worked at Blockbuster Videos 20 years ago and all of a sudden, they all dissapeared.