Horror Let's Play without a facecam?

Zack Daniels

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I want something to freshen up my channel a bit, appeal to a different audience.

I'm kinda hyped for Outlast II, so I'm well into the idea of Let's Playing the first one, heavily edited down into 10-15 minute videos you know?

That's great, but I don't use a face cam. The main reason is that the lighting in my recording space is god awful, and fixing it isn't quick or cheap, the other is that I've made 200 videos without facecam, and kinda like not having to worry about another variable.

So the question is, will it work, have you guys watched a horror Let's Play without a facecam? I've done it before with SOMA (didn't ever finish it due to laptop caputing randomly, and Uni work), and it was relatively popular for the size of my channel, but I don't wanna commit if the general opinion is 'don't'

Thanks everyone :)

Triple Res

YouTube Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well im in the same boat as you lol following this post to see what other people think.

Reactions: Zack Daniels

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
Well it all depends, like, in my case I prefer to watch horror videos if I see the let's player expression, since the reaction will make things more funny but there are times in which I watch someone who is super scary cat like me playing a horror game and just the sound of their voice (sounding scare like for real and not forced) might be good, it really just depends but in my opinion facecam will be more funny

Reactions: Zack Daniels

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
A facecam can be nice, but you can also experiment. Take me for Example. I did not have a camera up until 5 months ago. I had to improvise and do my vlogs with a stop animation that I had to draw several poses of my avatar. Even now my character is set in stone and I do not want to reveal my face so I film myself with a mask playing stuff, if I do a gameplay video.

Neimos

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm in the exact same position, but I think personally that facecam adds a lot to the video. Sure it still can be entertaining but nothing compared to a video with funny facial expressions. To be honest I think that it is a key to getting more connected with your audience. If you look at the top youtubers (gamers or not), the majority of them show their face. As of bad lighting beeing a problem, you can always find a cheap sollution.
That's what I think and that is exactly why I'm getting a facecam setup in upcoming weeks. Whatever you choose to do, good luck! ;)
~Neimos

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

I'm not a gamer but my opinion is that this would only work if you have a very good voice, personality and commentary and you're funny to make up for the fact that the viewer can't seen your facial expression and reaction.

Zack Daniels

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for all the replies guys!! I think I'm gonna record it, try uber hard to make my commentary entertaining, and see how good it is post-editing :) Need some fresher content for my channel (Overwatch is addictive haha), if it's bad, I'll try something else :)

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the horror game and depends on what is comfortable for YOU to do.

Although some people rather a facecam for a horror game for some people it takes them out of the immersion like me.

If I cant see the face and its just RAW gameplay I feel like I'm playing it with them rather than watching them because its like playing a game with your friend sitting right next to you. You know hes there you dont need to look at him just play the game and enjoy the thrill.

I personally am not a fan of facecam horror videos so I feel like if you put forward the emotion you feel playing the game through your voice then you have a good year ahead of you.

Easier said than done.