Hi! I have been a creative YT user for almost 10 ys and now?

gloryan

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am thankful this community exists.
I'd like to help others though right now I need to help too!
I have been a YT user for almost a decade and posted videos of songs (more covers than originals but getting there :).
I am a singer and play the guitar. I write tons of songs and produce with some entry level but quality equipment. (I lately have purchased Final Cut, I record with Logic and a Focusrite interface and use a Canon to film).
I have generally always kept up with the trends though not been consistent with video posts (sometimes I didn't post for months).
A year and half or so ago, I received a mail from YT saying if I did not reach double the subscribers and double the views within a month my profile would have been turned into a user account and not a creative one (I guess this meant no commercial, no monetization though I still have the monetization option on my profile).
I used to get at least thousands of views per video (in one I reached over 160 k). Since this message, I can barely make 300 views per video.
I have kept going and recently made a very elaborate version of a song from a new TV series.
However, I am struggling to keep my creative activity going. I mostly do it for myself but would like to have a little bit of recognition - e.g. see my video amongst the hundreds of others' covers in the first page of search when I search for "(song) (cover)"

Did anybody have this problem with YT?
Does anybody have a solution? I try to post anywhere but it brings little visibility.
Sorry if something reads odd, I am from Italy.
Thanks to anyone who will answer.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)

Well yes, YouTube is hard. It's easy to make a few good videos but it's hard to persist and do it consistently over a long period of time. You have to pace yourself and schedule a few very short breaks from it during the year to avoid burnout. There is no magic solution though. You need to find discipline. Maybe Youtube isn't for you or maybe it's time for something else ? :)

Reactions: KatyAdelson

gloryan

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer and for moving me.
Time for something else like what for example?
With all due respect, what you told me was something I already know.
I need to understand why YT has done this to my account. It feels like it hid my visibility.
Honestly, I am making better covers and better videos than I ever did so I don't see why I should stop my activity. (if you've actually seen my latest video you've noticed)
I think YT is for everyone and I have seen people get a million views and have a pace of a video every 5 months.
I need to understand what happened for real. I will keep on making these videos no matter what. Maybe I'll move to alternative platforms if necessary but won't stop because I know I am good at it.
Thanks
:)

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It feels like it hid my visibility.
No. The rules are for monetization. If a channel doesn't get a minimum number of watch time and subscribers, the channel is not eligible for monetization. But the videos are not hidden. These changes are not new. They happened 2 years ago. I am surprised you only knowabout it now. YouTube sent several emails to existing partners. I suggest you check your emails from Youtube from the last 2 years and also to read the official help:

The criteria for view time and sub count are very low. If your channel isn't able to meet those criteria, it means the channel doesn't get many views or subs so it wouldn't have earned much money anyway so it makes no difference does it?

There is a discussion of those criteria here on this forum:

Reactions: KatyAdelson

gloryan

Reaction score
Thanks again, and again the emails you are posting are EXACTLY WHAT I was talking about in my first post.
And I am going further by saying that AFTER THAT EMAIL I DID GET almost two years ago (as mentioned in the first post), I got LESS VISIBILITY.

I will check out your other thread also because I need more info.
In particular, I'd like to know if there is a way that by gaining more subscribers and views you can then get your channel to work as it used to (given mine was deprived of visibility).

I will also wait for others to reply with their experience if there is anybody who has had a similar experience.
Thanks.