Hey Gamers!

ImSoLugo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm experimenting on a new format. I know that videos should ideally be short but lets plays by nature are quite long. Would you guys consider watching a lets play if it was in short 5-minute intervals. For example Im editing a lets play of Outlast and I want to keep as much gameplay as is relevant to emulate a smooth experience of a lets play. but instead of cutting out at around 15 minutes its only 5.

As far as interaction goes for a new channel do you think short 5-minute walkthroughs is a good idea.

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
YouTube is more heavily focusing on featuring videos with a lot of watch time rather than audience retention at the moment. So the choice is you. If you do go longer form, you'll just have to be extremely entertaining and keep the viewer watching.

Reactions: ImSoLugo

ImSoLugo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
YouTube is more heavily focusing on featuring videos with a lot of watch time rather than audience retention at the moment. So the choice is you. If you do go longer form, you'll just have to be extremely entertaining and keep the viewer watching.
That's a fair statement. I think I might keep the first episode short and make the second longer. That way I can emulate both and see what works the best. :) It could also act like a teaser i guess lol

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it would work for you, since people tend to have short attention spans on the interwebs!

ImSoLugo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it would work for you, since people tend to have short attention spans on the interwebs!
Forreal i gotta be honest if a see a video longer than ten minutes.. unless I reeeaaaallly like the youtuber. I usually either dont finish or dont watch it at all.

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was considering this as id wanna do mine in more episode sizes like 5-10mins, yet to film my first tho, still cant find anything on terms of service etc for the games i wanna use

HalieCakes

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't do a 5 minute let's play for any game..Yeah, you may get to the point quicker but mainly if someone wants to watch a lets play they're in for the long haul. I think that 5 - 10 minute is good for gaming reviews..but not for let's plays. My opinion though, I like the grit of let's plays and also how they have more detail than just a review.

Reactions: Lizzeelive

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If the game is story driven, then absolutely use long episodes.

A let's play is meant to be a FULL play through, heavy editing and such isn't really a convention of a let's play series.

For me, personally, I like to see every part of gameplay, every grind, and every cutscene in a "Let's Play."

ImSoLugo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I was considering this as id wanna do mine in more episode sizes like 5-10mins, yet to film my first tho, still cant find anything on terms of service etc for the games i wanna use
That's an interesting statement I never really considered terms of service cause usually play games ppl have already played. ( i know thats not smart for a newtuber xD)

I wouldn't do a 5 minute let's play for any game..Yeah, you may get to the point quicker but mainly if someone wants to watch a lets play they're in for the long haul. I think that 5 - 10 minute is good for gaming reviews..but not for let's plays. My opinion though, I like the grit of let's plays and also how they have more detail than just a review.
I always felt that way but with new channels I have found that click-through rates and retention for long videos are less then shorter ones. So i figured for an early channel it might be ideal to keep people into the series. I had a friend tell me the video i am going to put up in the future was too short. ( suggesting she watched the whole thing right? xD) so I thought it may be a good idea to start a series and make the videos longer throughout the series.

If the game is story driven, then absolutely use long episodes.

A let's play is meant to be a FULL play through, heavy editing and such isn't really a convention of a let's play series.

For me, personally, I like to see every part of gameplay, every grind, and every cutscene in a "Let's Play."
Yea I wasn't really planning on cutting the gameplay just keeping episodes rather short o.o the only issue is with cutscenes they definitely take up a significant amount of that time.

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's an interesting statement I never really considered terms of service cause usually play games ppl have already played. ( i know thats not smart for a newtuber xD)

I always felt that way but with new channels I have found that click-through rates and retention for long videos are less then shorter ones. So i figured for an early channel it might be ideal to keep people into the series. I had a friend tell me the video i am going to put up in the future was too short. ( suggesting she watched the whole thing right? xD) so I thought it may be a good idea to start a series and make the videos longer throughout the series.

Yea I wasn't really planning on cutting the gameplay just keeping episodes rather short o.o the only issue is with cutscenes they definitely take up a significant amount of that time.
Yeah its annoying, last thing i wanna do is start making loads of videos and suddenly get a strike. I'm aiming for the older games so find they either dont exist anymore or some big company took over the IPs and do nothing with them