Help with voice dysphoria while editing? (gender dysphoria)

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't know how this website's moderation system is, or how it relates to discrimination, but I'm going to make this post anyways.
So, anyways, as someone who's transgender, I hate my voice. My voice doesn't sound anything like what I'd like it to sound, and that ends up bothering me while editing
Having to edit videos where I need to listen to my voice a lot causes gender dysphoria, and seriously discourages me from editing.
Anyone else with gender dysphoria experience this? If so, do you have any tips to help me with it? Thanks.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
never experienced that - im not transgender so i may not be able to relate but just being comfortable with yourself is really important - whether you're transgender or not i think A LOTTT of people HATE their voice when they hear it back, i did a lot and i still do lol - I don't mind while editing but when my little brother watches my videos it still weirds me out

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I don't know how this website's moderation system is, or how it relates to discrimination, but I'm going to make this post anyways.
So, anyways, as someone who's transgender, I hate my voice. My voice doesn't sound anything like what I'd like it to sound, and that ends up bothering me while editing
Having to edit videos where I need to listen to my voice a lot causes gender dysphoria, and seriously discourages me from editing.
Anyone else with gender dysphoria experience this? If so, do you have any tips to help me with it? Thanks.
I'm not transgender but I am quite androgynous and gender fluid to some degree. I'm kind of boyish but not butch, kind of girly but not femme. So I feel this gender dysphoria both online and IRL.

Since I started singing on YouTube in 2009, I regularly get comments about people getting confused whether I'm a young boy or a girl. Thought this would not be such an issue after I started a more spoken-word channel but I've been getting the same stuff once in a while. Stuff like this used to bother me a lot but what really helped me was when I started accepting that this was just part of who I am. Once I started doing that, it became much easier to joke about it and see that this was something that made me a unique individual.

I think in your case, it would be a matter of accepting that this is what you sound like right now and that's okay. You're not at an ideal place but you're fine just the way you are and hopefully, you'll be able to find ways to reach your ideal voice type in the future. :)

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Pretty much what other people say, even if you are not transgender we all have issues with our voices, especially when they get recorded. It's about getting used to it, but I know there are ways through constant practise to improve and slightly change one's voice (acting courses, maybe?, I don't know the fine details). So you are not alone.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Pretty much what other people say, even if you are not transgender we all have issues with our voices, especially when they get recorded. It's about getting used to it, but I know there are ways through constant practise to improve and slightly change one's voice (acting courses, maybe?, I don't know the fine details). So you are not alone.
I... actually think Lana's problem is a little more complex than just hating her own voice. It has to do with the identity that's associated with that voice and how it doesn't match the identity she's associated with herself, the one that feels true to who she actually is. To some extent, it /is/ a matter of getting used to it but more so, it's about dealing with that sense of self.

Can you imagine feeling female but not having attributes of that identity and having to deal with that every day? Kind of like how my female cousin grows a bushier beard than her husband because of some hormonal issues she's had since birth. Growing up she's been made fun of for being a guy and it's taken her years to finally be okay with it to the point she can joke about it. That's part of what gender dysphoria is like.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

Reactions: Kristeen