Help With Sport Highlight Videos

Luke Orchard

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Unsure if this is in the right place but hopefully somebody can help.

My Youtube channel is based around football (soccer). I have been wanting to make highlight videos e.g.
top 10 goals of the season etc but I am really unsure how I go about it. Do you just download
another Youtube vid with the clip you want and edit, or can you download off a sporting website?

I was unsure on the rules about downloading Youtube videos however, the sport clips are copyrighted from the television channel.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would very much appreciate it.

:)

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes the clips are technically copyright from the news station, but mostly everyone takes clips they've found online, or recorded themselves.

Reactions: Luke Orchard

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

To answer the question, put yourself in the TV channel's position:

TV channels pay millions of dollars / pounds / euros to have the right to film and broadcast this content. Do you think they will just sit back and not protect that investment?

Luke Orchard

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I understand your point if you do not profit off of it, surely that is ok?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
It's my suspicion that the recent "rash" of channel terminations may be due to these clauses in the YouTube TOU which I quote below...

"7.4 You represent and warrant that you have (and will continue to have during your use of the Service) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions which are required to enable YouTube to use your Content for the purposes of the provision of the Service by YouTube, and otherwise to use your Content in the manner contemplated by the Service and these Terms."

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below."

"7.8 On becoming aware of any potential violation of these Terms, YouTube reserves the right (but shall have no obligation) to decide whether Content complies with the content requirements set out in these Terms and may remove such Content and/or terminate a User's access for uploading Content which is in violation of these Terms at any time, without prior notice and at its sole discretion."

In other words, by even creating such a channel as you have, you already stand in violation of clauses 7.4, 7.7 and could be penalized as written in 7.8. You think that because you are recording with your mobile phone you own the rights to the videos you post; but actually you do not; unless you have cleared recording and re-broadcast rights with the football clubs, the venue owner, and any broadcast networks who have bought the rights for match recordings. In addition, you would need publicity rights from not only the football team, but every single fan and other person type who appears in your videos. You are literally playing roulette with your YouTube Creator Life; if you want to go ahead and load another bullet into the chamber that is your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakycow

Luke Orchard

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thank you for the response. I haven't actually made such a video I just wanted advice on it.
Perhaps it's best to steer clear of it seeing as it could cause trouble in the long run.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you for the response. I haven't actually made such a video I just wanted advice on it.
Perhaps it's best to steer clear of it seeing as it could cause trouble in the long run.
Please re-read my edited post, Luke. You'd be better off killing every video you have up there, and starting over with a different content type.

Luke Orchard

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have wondered what kind of rules applied to my type of channel content as it is filmed on private property.
I may contact my local club to ask fully about the rights on these videos. There are far bigger channels than mine that are doing the same type of videos therefore, I may contact them as well just to see if they have encountered problems.

I appreciate your feedback.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I understand your point if you do not profit off of it, surely that is ok?
Not profiting? You think that just because someone don't monetize something, they are allowed to steal content and use it ?

By that logic, it would be ok to pirate a copy of Star Wars, burn it on to DVD and then give it to people for free. Do you think that's legal? (Answer: It's not)

Even without monetization, those videos would generate traffic to your channel and brand. You'd be taking traffic (and revenue) away from the copyright owners.