Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rails2Revolution

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all, hope everything is well.

I've been having multiple content ID disputes rejected in the past few months for using royalty free music purchased by networks (from back in the day when I had higher regard for MCN's). Has anyone else had experience with these problems?

Problem is when networks offer royalty free music through a third party, what the youtuber doesn't have access to is the actual licenses after making purchases, making it rather difficult to prove I used this music legally.

It also seems that consistently when my videos are claimed by "AdRevMG for Third Party", they always reject any disputes. Yet I can't find details of this third party in order to contact them.

I could appeal the many rejected disputes, but I have no actual evidence that I legally obtained the royalty free music other than the contract from the network I was in as proof that I was in said network for that period of time. Plus the fact that it's the claimant that makes the final decision whether I get a strike to my channel or not makes me very uneasy about this. I've got to say, it honestly annoys me that the claimant is the one making money of the many videos I legally used their music in, and that same entity is the one that decides whether or not your claim gets released. Isn't this a very flawed system?

How have you guys sorted out rejected content ID disputes in the past?
Also if you have any thoughts or opinions about this topic please feel free to share.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I actually don't see much hope for you here. When I use third party content I usually take a screenshot of the license conditions as some kind of proof and store the links in a text file.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Most likely if they reject it you will have 7 days to cancel the appeal before the video is taken down and you are given a strike. I don't know of anything you can do to guarantee they won't take you video down, even if you did have an actual license or even if the music was 100% thought of, written, and played by you. It's just something uploaders have to deal with. The real question you need to answer is if this video is worth having a strike on your channel for 10-14 business days while you wait for the counter-notification to clear. And that question only has to be asked after they reject your appeal and give you 7 days to think about it.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can appeal the rejected dispute and then get a copyright strike and have the video take down. After that, google "Youtube Counter Notificatin." There is something called a counter-notice that you can file that supposedly forces Youtube to re-instate your video within 10 - 14 business days and the person claiming the content either has to take you to court in that time or drop it completely. I learned about it from this article at gamasutra about counter-notices after getting so many dumb claims myself. I have yet to test it. Supposedly, no one has ever been taken to court after filing the counter notice. If you are within the realm of fair use, you should be fine. No guarantees, but there is SOMETHING you can do to fight back and the claimants don't just have infinite power over you and your videos. I will be trying this soon.

Reactions: Rails2Revolution

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
If you genuinely have the right to use the music, then yes you should do the final appeal. Here are some suggestions.

Use strong wording. Phrases like "Adrev does NOT maintain exclusive worldwide rights to this content contrary to their ContentID requirements" or "Adrev is illegally claiming ownership of this content which can and has also been provided under license to numerous other YouTube channels, including mine through ZZZZ Network". Things that might get someone's attention.

Remember, the final appeal is a legal challenge of sorts. You're basically calling their bluff and saying, fine, sue me. And if they don't provide notification to YouTube that they are doing that, you get your content back. And they won't. Adrev, like many other Content "owners" abuse the YouTube system to yank out just that last little bit of revenue by making you appeal twice after the first immediate denial. They're not going to sue you because they know full well that they don't have the exclusive right to that content.

The only thing to be cautious of is that you can only file 3 appeals at a time. And if you're concerned about copyright strikes, I'd maybe only file 1 appeal at a time. It's probably not needed, but better to be safe than sorry.