Help with copyright dispute

Davin Kemp

Reaction score
Hi everyone

We took a video of a RAF display for the Queens 90th birthday and have received 300k + views

However, EMI have put in a copyright claim on the video based on the music that the band played - Battle of Britain theme

Is this right?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

TheReading

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Commentator
Do you own the music you used in the video or at least have written permission to use the music used?

Davin Kemp

Reaction score
No I don't own the battle of Britain theme tune! But is the fact that it was playing in the background (and played by a brass band at that) mean that all copyright goes to EMI?

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
No I don't own the battle of Britain theme tune! But is the fact that it was playing in the background (and played by a brass band at that) mean that all copyright goes to EMI?
Yes the copyright goes to the owner. If you still wanna keep the video up you could replace the audio with one of youtubes copyright free songs although it would seem weird but thats an option.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It is most likely fair use if there is music played in the background that you had no control over that you weren't intentionally trying to record. I'd dispute the claim.

Also, as you can see even in this thread, you will receive a lot of incorrect information in this subforum. Please be selective about whom you listen to.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
License holders have a right to protect their work. That means they get to decide how their work is used and how it is monetized.

In the case of YouTube, at worst, they can issue a copyright strike and have the video removed. They can allow the video to stand and claim the ad revenue.

If they played a pre-recorded song that has registered copyright, yes, they can claim the video.

However, I get content ID claims on music that I purchased the rights to use. I always counter-claim. You can check to see if EMI actually has the rights to claim that song. (sorry, I can't help you flesh that out).