Help Please, New to Copyright Claims

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Contact the copyright holder and PAY them for the rights. They will almost certainly not give it for free.
The issue has already been resolved, and I don't think that he is willing to pay the probably hundreds of dollars it takes to get the rights to the song XD.

allthingstodd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Reporter, Vlogger, Comedian, Commentator
That could be the case and also they played the game on youtube back in 2013 so UMG copyright policy might have been different back then. Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1547660247,1547659788][/DOUBLEPOST]As new a youtuber, this has been a learning experience haha. I learn best from my mistakes.
Hey man! Yea, as we all do. I had a copyright claim on one of my fitness videos because stupid me was just willy nilly putting whatever songs I wanted in the background haha. I just checked out your Channel and it looks legit. I subbed ya, and will be keeping an eye out for your new vids.[DOUBLEPOST=1547665922][/DOUBLEPOST]
Contact the copyright holder and PAY them for the rights. They will almost certainly not give it for free.
"Exposing Stupidity" HAHA. I love it! You need to make T-shirts, that is one of the best phrases I have heard in a while. Nice Channel btw.

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey man! Yea, as we all do. I had a copyright claim on one of my fitness videos because stupid me was just willy nilly putting whatever songs I wanted in the background haha. I just checked out your Channel and it looks legit. I subbed ya, and will be keeping an eye out for your new vids.[DOUBLEPOST=1547665922][/DOUBLEPOST]

"Exposing Stupidity" HAHA. I love it! You need to make T-shirts, that is one of the best phrases I have heard in a while. Nice Channel btw.
Thanks man. Appreciate your words and you subscribing to my channel![DOUBLEPOST=1547675919,1547675800][/DOUBLEPOST]I successfully uploaded part 5 without a copyright claim! I want to thank everyone for trying to help me through this ordeal!

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The issue has already been resolved, and I don't think that he is willing to pay the probably hundreds of dollars it takes to get the rights to the song XD.
I know, but the answer I gave is still the answer. People have this bizarre idea that they get to use anything they want for free and nobody had better get in their way. That's the biggest question we get around here. "How can I get them to leave me alone while I steal their content". The entitlement is just absurd.

Darius Dominte

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes you can't win because they claim the audio, video and background(photo) rights of content ID. You can make this if you wan't to re-upload choose in youtube studio a music from there to edit and put after all video. But make sure you video not blocked for video or background infrigement.

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
@JamesGAMES YT I have just received a similar message from youtube with the same company as follows:
  • Copyrighted content: I'd Rather Go Blind
  • Claimed by: UMG
I was very confused, still am to some point. Firewatch is quite a long game and I've done it over 5 videos. The song literally plays while the video credits are rolling, I didn't know anything about the copyright thing as it's part of the game.... I let the credits roll out of respect for the many talented people that made the game. It's a great song btw and I don't mind if they get a 'cut' I am not even monetised as yet but apparently they can now monetise my video and claim the full amount. This does seem a bit unfair given the time I've invested into making the series. The final episode with their song is over an hour so if they start putting ads throughout it will extend that annoyingly.

On the other hand, it's their song! I understand them not allowing others to use it freely so I guess it's fair enough. I am deciding if I will leave it in or not as I see there is an option there for the soundtrack to be removed. No matter what I wouldn't dispute it though. They are a huge company and it seems they are on the lookout for new content that is being uploaded to yt. The good thing is that it's not a strike with yt, that would really upset me as I didn't even know I was doing something wrong, just like you and it is a good lesson to keep in mind for the future.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I was very confused, still am to some point. Firewatch is quite a long game and I've done it over 5 videos. The song literally plays while the video credits are rolling, I didn't know anything about the copyright thing as it's part of the game....
It's part of the game because the game publisher bought the rights to use the song... something you didn't do.

They can authorize you using the game footage because they created and own that, but their licenses to any music they didn't create do not transfer.

As usual- the general rule is that if you didn't create something (or buy the necessary rights), you can't use it... music being a huge no-no as there are typically numerous copyrights attached to it (the written music, the lyrics, and the performance each have separate copyrights).

Reactions: GrannyGamer

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
@Shakycow Thanks for that, it makes complete sense! I decided after my post to erase their song mainly as my video is so long and very intense due to the storyline and being the last of the series. If it was just a short one and there was only 1 video that would be fair but I don't want the last episode to be hammered with advertising. It's all part of this learning curve. I now wonder why the game developers don't do the same after all the costs they would have making the games. In some ways I guess it's free advertising for the game but could also have the opposite effect if someone was considering buying it then seen it being played out, changed their mind.