Help Please, New to Copyright Claims

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I uploaded Part 5 of my Last of Us Remastered playthrough on Youtube and the video was demontized, but even worse it was blocked from all countries worldwide. The copyright claim was filed by UMG for Hank Williams and His Drifting Cowboys song "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive," which plays in the background for maybe a minute out of my 1 hour and 24-minute video. I tried erasing the song but that didn't work, so I'm thinking of filing a dispute, but I'm nervous I'll get a copyright strike or worse on my channel. I could lower the game volume but that would require me edit, reprocess and re-upload my video
(which would take my computer around 4 hours). Even if I lowered the game volume I feel it may still be claimed. What do you guys think I should do?

Additionally, I did some investigating on Youtube and PewDiePie had the song playing in his Last of Us playthrough from 19:12- 20:18.

So does theRadBrad from 8:02-9:07.

Those are just two examples of the many uploading videos of this game with this song playing in the background.

Last edited:

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You won't win. Just because the video game makers had the license for the song doesn't mean you do. They are completely in the right to block your video and you are completely in the wrong. Go back, erase the song from the video, delete the old one and re-upload.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They have a valid claim on the video from what it looks like, you either have to edit the video, take down the video, or just leave the video be, it looks like it only has a copyright claim, which doesn't hurt your channel, so I would just leave it or re-edit the video and take out the game volume, which may sound like a big hassle for 1 minute of music playing, but you should have removed it while you were editing anyways. Copyright has gotten really crazy as of yet, so you have to make sure that you have permission to post what you are posting before you post it, or you'll be the next Jameskii.

Reactions: JamesGAMES YT

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They have a valid claim on the video from what it looks like, you either have to edit the video, take down the video, or just leave the video be, it looks like it only has a copyright claim, which doesn't hurt your channel, so I would just leave it or re-edit the video and take out the game volume, which may sound like a big hassle for 1 minute of music playing, but you should have removed it while you were editing anyways. Copyright has gotten really crazy as of yet, so you have to make sure that you have permission to post what you are posting before you post it, or you'll be the next Jameskii.
Actually, I just found out it's only for 12 seconds where they filed the claim. I've decided to go back and mute the game audio for that 12 seconds. Here's hoping I don't get a copyright claim now. Thank you.

Reactions: allthingstodd

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I would ignore it and move on to the next video. But next time, check your work for music and delete/distort before upload.

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How do I get permission to post something?

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, permission from whoever made the music to post it, but now that you are taking the music out, you don't need permission to use something you aren't using now. If you wanted to keep the music in, you would have to try and contact the company who made it and get explicit permission to use it.

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, permission from whoever made the music to post it, but now that you are taking the music out, you don't need permission to use something you aren't using now. If you wanted to keep the music in, you would have to try and contact the company who made it and get explicit permission to use it.
I may just mute for now on, getting permission seems like it would be time-consuming, because it may take a while for them to respond back. I'm trying to upload daily and waiting around to get permission might not be worth it. You think PewDiePie, theRadBrad, and other YouTubers got permission to play this song or was it because they may be part of a partner network?

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They might have gotten permission, but it's more likely that either the video wasn't claimed because they posted the video before companies like UMG started to mass-claim new videos, or that it's claimed but is still up cause that way UMG can make even more money with it gaining views and giving them the ad-revenue.

JamesGAMES YT

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They might have gotten permission, but it's more likely that either the video wasn't claimed because they posted the video before companies like UMG started to mass-claim new videos, or that it's claimed but is still up cause that way UMG can make even more money with it gaining views and giving them the ad-revenue.
That could be the case and also they played the game on youtube back in 2013 so UMG copyright policy might have been different back then. Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1547660247,1547659788][/DOUBLEPOST]As new a youtuber, this has been a learning experience haha. I learn best from my mistakes.

Reactions: allthingstodd