Help for a new uploader

Luke Whaymand

Reaction score
Hello Youtube Community,
I am interested in starting to post videos (gameplay commentaries of CoD, Skryim, Fifa e.t.c) to youtube. I am serious about this. I have never uploaded a video before and it seems so complicated! With the rendering and editing and stuff! I know that I am going to buy an HD PVR in order to produce good quality, and I will get a mic to record my voice. But I need to know the ENTIRE process of how to make the gameplay commentary and upload to Youtube, if anyone would be kind enough to help me. I know I can use the HD PVR software that comes with it to record the gameplay. Which program shall I record my voice with (audacity maybe?)? Which program shall I edit the commentary and the gameplay together with (Windows Movie Maker?)? I am so confused and I really need help. I just need a full, thorough explanation from a kind person please. One last thing, I am prepared to buy the PVR and mic, but I would like to use FREE software to record my voice and edit e.t.c. Thank you for any support you can give me!

Mitch

Kuchiki Byakuya!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello, and welcome to YTtalk! Thank you for joining our humble community. If you ever need help please contact me or any other awesome member of the community. For more in depth explanations on how the site works please click the following link --->http://yttalk.com/forums/useful-site-information.17/<---

It's a hassle to explain it all so i'll give you the jist of it. Alright, so lets say you're going to upload, MW3 videos. Well, mw3 has a unique system where you can take videos from your vault on the console and upload them to your COD elite account. From there you can go on a pc download the video, then use a program like sony vegas to edit your video, like drag it down onto the timeline of sony vegas and from there you can record it. An alternative would be to go out and buy yourself a nice capture card, and use the same steps from above involving sony vegas.

Luke Whaymand

Reaction score
Thanks! I am definitely going to buy and HD PVR capture card due to the fact that I will not only be making MW3 videos. So, I have gathered that I use the PVR software provided to record. Then, I can use Audacity to record my voice. You said that I should use Sony Vegas. Is Sony Vegas software free? If so, is it simple to use? If it isn't free, could you recommend a good free editing software?
Thanks a lot :)

Mitch

Kuchiki Byakuya!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sony Vegas, isn't free. There is a 30 day free trial however. If you're into piracy, you can look a few things up. Also, Sony Vegas is the program I've used for awhile so everything comes natural. I can't really recommend anything else, because I've never had to go looking for anything else, since Sony Vegas has just about everything imaginable.

Luke Whaymand

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I'm definitely not into pirating so no thanks to that. So I can record with my PVR, commentate with my mic and with Audacity, but I really need a good program (free) to edit the commentary and gameplay together with. Does anyone else have any ideas? Also, is there any specific settings I should use on the PVR software to give the best quality?

Thecay1998

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay Here Goes first you need a good mic and a pvr i advise the blue yeti microphone and next you need some audio recording software like audacity then after recording both your gameplay and audio you need to get them together so export the audio from audacity and drop it in some editing software if you want something free and easy windows live movie maker does the job so drop both the video and audio in there then render it together once its done go to youtube and just upload it

Luke Whaymand

Reaction score
Okay Here Goes first you need a good mic and a pvr i advise the blue yeti microphone and next you need some audio recording software like audacity then after recording both your gameplay and audio you need to get them together so export the audio from audacity and drop it in some editing software if you want something free and easy windows live movie maker does the job so drop both the video and audio in there then render it together once its done go to youtube and just upload it
Thanks a lot! This helped loads. I have a PVR and mic now and I have downloaded Audacity and WLMM. I will record the gameplay with the HD PVR and the software that comes with it (ArcNet Showbiz or something?). I will record using Audacity. You said I need to export the audio file. Do I have to export it as a particular type of file for youtube, e.g. WAV or MP3 e.t.c? How do you render the video once you have put the audio and the gameplay together in WLMM?
Thanks for any help if you reply again!

Reactions: XardicPenguin

Thecay1998

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry for taking so long, first export the audio as wav then once both gameplay and audio are in WlMM you want to click the save movie button somewhere on the far right and click recommended for this project that will render it in 1080p[DOUBLEPOST=1344616849,1344616428][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh And Btw if you want you can add me on skype and i will help talk you through it

XardicPenguin

A Flightless Bird. What Do You Want To Know?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Thanks a lot! This helped loads. I have a PVR and mic now and I have downloaded Audacity and WLMM. I will record the gameplay with the HD PVR and the software that comes with it (ArcNet Showbiz or something?). I will record using Audacity. You said I need to export the audio file. Do I have to export it as a particular type of file for youtube, e.g. WAV or MP3 e.t.c? How do you render the video once you have put the audio and the gameplay together in WLMM?
Thanks for any help if you reply again!
Hey, if you EVER get a error in Movie Maker that says "Doesn't have the correct codec" You can get software called "Format Factory" for free and use it to change the videos file type. I recommend .AVI for all videos that are going to be put into Movie Maker. THEN you can change it to .WMV using Movie Maker and upload it Quickly to YouTube.

Thecay1998

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
you will never get that error if you use the software that came with the pvr and use audacity what he said is needlessly confusing and unnecsasary