HELP! Do you think I'll get a copyright strike?

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'm filming a video tomorrow and want to include footage of the SpaceX Flacon Heavy launch from last week, I'm wondering if that's protected by copyright? It was a publicly live streamed event?

Thoughts?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
apparantly in america theres something called fair usage which allows you to use a very short clip. you woulnt get away with that in uk however. check the sorce counrty where the footage originates. dont use if in dought. sorry spellin

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
apparantly in america theres something called fair usage which allows you to use a very short clip. you woulnt get away with that in uk however. check the sorce counrty where the footage originates. dont use if in dought. sorry spellin
Fair use does apply in the UK too as far as I know.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
ok try putting a clip from bbc in your next upload and see how fast things get real
Really? I've had success doing clips in videos as part of soundbites or Jokes as a Parody and gotten away with it rather comfortably. In fact I just made a Gwen Stefani joke in a recent video and didn't get touched at all by the YouTube Police Department (lol). Of course I haven't tried it over seas yet, but I can't imagine the copyright law is too much different. Do you have an example of the copyright law in the united kingdom perhaps?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Really? I've had success doing clips in videos as part of soundbites or Jokes as a Parody and gotten away with it rather comfortably. In fact I just made a Gwen Stefani joke in a recent video and didn't get touched at all by the YouTube Police Department (lol). Of course I haven't tried it over seas yet, but I can't imagine the copyright law is too much different. Do you have an example of the copyright law in the united kingdom perhaps?
in uk its called 'Fair dealing’ for which there is no statutory definition. It's down to interpretation. Few would try to argue or get away with a 'fair use' defence in UK. Intellectual property is taken seriously here, its a different outlook. You just don't mess with other people's stuff. I mentioned BBC as an example of a broadcaster that is known to get lots of youtube videos taken down if they spot anything of theirs uploaded illegally. they are strict. I doubt YT would would ignore a copyright report infrignment. They will likely exercise due diligence (cover their back sides first). Too many youtubers on here have disabled accounts when you press on their links, or have stories of their accounts being banned for doing stupid stuff. I just think its not worth the hassle of getting wrong. Better to be safe.

Reactions: AceOfBats

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
in uk its called 'Fair dealing’ for which there is no statutory definition. It's down to interpretation. Few would try to argue or get away with a 'fair use' defence in UK. Intellectual property is taken seriously here, its a different outlook. You just don't mess with other people's stuff. I mentioned BBC as an example of a broadcaster that is known to get lots of youtube videos taken down if they spot anything of theirs uploaded illegally. they are strict. I doubt YT would would ignore a copyright report infrignment. They will likely exercise due diligence (cover their back sides first). Too many youtubers on here have disabled accounts when you press on their links, or have stories of their accounts being banned for doing stupid stuff. I just think its not worth the hassle of getting wrong. Better to be safe.
To paraphrase Katsuya "Joey" Wheeler, Ah-ba-ba-nyeeeeh? That sounds pretty serious. How does Monty Python or anyone get away with doing a Parody? Or a spoof of sorts. Certainly doing a bit of commentary on a news report or something of the like couldn't possibly threaten to replace an actual intellectual product could it? That's at least the understanding in the states anyway. That said, I suppose I've never seen a British parody of any of their major properties. So I really don't have a strong frame of reference. If I were to make fun of the Daleks from Dr. Who in a video that originates from the UK do you think they'd strike me for something as innocent as making a joke? Because if they strike me for that, then Brett may want to consider just finding a few pictures instead.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
To paraphrase Katsuya "Joey" Wheeler, Ah-ba-ba-nyeeeeh? That sounds pretty serious. How does Monty Python or anyone get away with doing a Parody? Or a spoof of sorts. Certainly doing a bit of commentary on a news report or something of the like couldn't possibly threaten to replace an actual intellectual product could it? That's at least the understanding in the states anyway. That said, I suppose I've never seen a British parody of any of their major properties. So I really don't have a strong frame of reference. If I were to make fun of the Daleks from Dr. Who in a video that originates from the UK do you think they'd strike me for something as innocent as making a joke? Because if they strike me for that, then Brett may want to consider just finding a few pictures instead.
i don't wanna exercise my brain cells this hard or get drawn into internet forum text tennis lol. Thanks for positive comments /feedback on my channel milestones thread i noticed.. much appreciated. :)

Reactions: AceOfBats