Help: contacted by VP of company -- is this a sponsorship?

YouTube Girl

Reaction score
OK, first off please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place; this is my first time posting on this forum. Also I'm sorry for the ramble-y nature of this post, my head is just really spinning right now and I need some help. Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can offer any information or advice.

So first a little backstory. I have a music YouTube channel with 1k subs (not a huge following, but I've uploaded over 100 videos over the last 6 years and the engagement is pretty consistent).

Last week I did something really crazy. I emailed the president, vice president and a few other higher-ups in the company I would most want to be sponsored by. I mean like, this would be my lifelong dream come true. I don't want to be too specific, but its a cruise line company that owns multiple ships. Basically, I sent them a video introducing myself and telling my story as a musician, and explaining why I would want to be sponsored by their company. At the end of the whole spiel, I said something along these lines: "I hope you'll consider creating a position for me as a sort of 'songwriting ambassador' for your cruise line, filming music videos and vlogs for my channel from various locations on the ship and the different locations you take your passengers to". Cheesy-sounding wording, I know. And I know I was also a bit vague, not like super specific on what I'd want the arrangement to look like.

Well, within 3 days I received an email that went something like this:

Dear ___,
Allow me to introduce myself. I am _____, VP of entertainment on _____, and I report directly to (insert the name of the president of the cruise line here). I would like to work with my assistant to get us together on a call as soon as we maneuver through the hurricane. Talk Soon!

So as you can see, he expressed interest in the video/email I sent, but didn't provide any details really beyond that. So I guess what I'm asking you all is, does anyone have experience with this kind of thing or know someone who does? Do you think this has the potential to be a legitimate sponsorship opportunity or am I overthinking things and jumping the gun here by getting excited?

Thank you so much for any help or information you can provide. :)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I wouldn't expect anything special. Those deals go to the 100ks and up

DonHazeon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think what he means is that they are interested in it and they want to talk it through a bit more and check out what kind of person you are

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It sounds positive that they wish to talk. Have the conversation and see how it goes.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There's nothing wrong with hopping on the phone with them to see what they're all about, but definitely use caution if they want you to sign anything.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the video partnership discussion forum. ^_^