Help! Audio partially missing when importing PS4 gameplay into Premiere Pro

PumpkinJunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with imported videos in Premiere Pro not having all the audio. The video is all there, but the end of the audio is usually missing.

I create gaming videos, which I do by copying my PS4 gameplays (recorded using the PS4's record feature) from the PS4 onto a USB stick. I then copy the file from the USB stick onto my Mac. I start Premiere Pro and drag and drop the MP4 file into Premiere Pro. The videos are about 15 minute long. Usually I only get audio for about 60 - 75% of the video, and the rest of the video has no audio. The video comes in just fine.

My workaround is to import the video into iMovie, export it from iMovie, and then use THAT video in Premiere Pro. It works just fine. All the audio is there.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Any help would be awesome!

Henry

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Basically your video is being recorded as VFR (variable frame rate) at this time for whatever reason Adobe STILL hasn't implemented proper support for VFR video into Premiere Pro, so basically you need to convert it to CFR (constant frame rate) footage in order for premiere to line align the audio correctly. Basically I use a program called Handbreak, it's an open source media encoder which every video editor should have installed because it's able to inject and spit out a lot of problematic video files and Premiere loves the files it outputs. When you open the program drag your video file onto it, then go into the video tab and tick the box that says Constant frame rate (by default Variable frame rate is checked) then specify your save location and file name and then click the "Add to queue" button at the top and then click start. Encoding can take a while if you don't have a i7 desktop processor (even with an i7 it can take a bit) but it should end up shrinking your file size AND the file should work perfectly in Premiere pro.

Reactions: PumpkinJunk

PumpkinJunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay! Thank-you so much for this. I'll check Handbrake out for sure. Maybe I'll just batch process all my imported videos at once. Hmmmm.

Cool, I have a solution for something that has been bothering for ages.

PumpkinJunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Note to anyone else who may want to try this: make sure you use the highest possible quality setting. The other settings produce discernible worsening of video quality.

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Note to anyone else who may want to try this: make sure you use the highest possible quality setting. The other settings produce discernible worsening of video quality.
Odd I never adjust any settings on mine, I've always just used default (changed the frame rate mode tho of course)

PumpkinJunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Odd I never adjust any settings on mine, I've always just used default (changed the frame rate mode tho of course)
All I can say is that when I used the HQ, Fast, or Very Fast settings, and compared the original to the new version, I could see a degradation in the video quality. What I had to do is take the Super HQ setting and change the sound to be stereo instead of surround and save it as my own preset. Super HQ also creates files that are larger than the original, but I guess that's the price I have to pay.