*head desk*

Scarricature

Reaction score
OH MY FREAKING GOD. I officially hate iMovie with a passion and I want to rip my hair out. This doesn't happen when I use my webcam, but when I import footage from a camera oooooh snap.
Basically its lagging like nobodies business, the playback is horrible, my footage is all choppy and I'm not sure it its the footage itself that is messed up or if its iMovie being its glorious self. And now, all my clips are grayed out and have a ! in them. I don't know what that means, but it can't be good.

I need Final Cut Pro.... scratch that, I need a computer thats not a complete pile of crap.

I think its safe to say I should try to edit my video tomorrow when I'm not out of my mind tired. If I try to do anything more, my computer may end up getting thrown out the window.... -_-

</rant>

FlipRJ

YTTalk Ramen Knight
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Musician, Comedian
i know the feel. actually, I kinda had it worse. I was using Windows Movie Maker. now THAT, my friend, it some awful software. hopefully your iMovie will stop being dumb soon! best of luck!!

Reactions: Frankie Turner

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
OH MY FREAKING GOD. I officially hate iMovie with a passion and I want to rip my hair out. This doesn't happen when I use my webcam, but when I import footage from a camera oooooh snap.
Basically its lagging like nobodies business, the playback is horrible, my footage is all choppy and I'm not sure it its the footage itself that is messed up or if its iMovie being its glorious self. And now, all my clips are grayed out and have a ! in them. I don't know what that means, but it can't be good.

I need Final Cut Pro.... scratch that, I need a computer thats not a complete pile of crap.

I think its safe to say I should try to edit my video tomorrow when I'm not out of my mind tired. If I try to do anything more, my computer may end up getting thrown out the window.... -_-

</rant>
Certain video codecs can cause your video editor to freak out and spasm like that. I know with Sony Vegas I have used a couple codecs in the past that it just would not play at a decent fps in the preview window at all, and sometimes had issues even getting the video to load at all, just a black screen with audio.

Since you're saying it's having this problem only with one video source, and not all video footage you're importing, I would guess it's the codec. I would advise download a converter/compresser/renderer and using that on the file first, then load the result into your video editor!

Reactions: FlipRJ

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score

</rant>
Yep iMovie is the devil.

Screenflow is much better! Have a google. You can screen record with it, but it's also a VERY nifty piece of editing software, I swear by it! It's much more flexible than iMovie, which I feel is REALLY outdated now.

Reactions: lttnetwork

Titus

Guy who makes videos
Reaction score
Yep iMovie is the devil.

Screenflow is much better! Have a google. You can screen record with it, but it's also a VERY nifty piece of editing software, I swear by it! It's much more flexible than iMovie, which I feel is REALLY outdated now.
Screenflow is very very good, I have only recently moved to it because Quicktime got messed up in 10.8.2 but I really like it :), still use iMovie from time to time though.

Scarricature

Reaction score
i know the feel. actually, I kinda had it worse. I was using Windows Movie Maker. now THAT, my friend, it some awful software. hopefully your iMovie will stop being dumb soon! best of luck!!
Aww, man that sucks. I used to use WMM back in the day.... not fun xD
Certain video codecs can cause your video editor to freak out and spasm like that. I know with Sony Vegas I have used a couple codecs in the past that it just would not play at a decent fps in the preview window at all, and sometimes had issues even getting the video to load at all, just a black screen with audio.

Since you're saying it's having this problem only with one video source, and not all video footage you're importing, I would guess it's the codec. I would advise download a converter/compresser/renderer and using that on the file first, then load the result into your video editor!
Hmm interesting. Sounds plausible. What we did basically was we imported the files off the camera onto my friends PC, put them on a flash drive, and then I imported them onto my Mac. They were the file type .mts but then I converted them to mp4 with MacX Free M2TS Video Converter. Idk, maybe I used a crappy converter? Then again when I play the .mts files in VLC its still choppy :/
Yep iMovie is the devil.

Thanks, I'll check it out! Is it free or does it cost money? Edit: Stupid free trial version pasted a fat watermark on my video and I didn't realize it til after I spent over an hour editing and exported it to youtube. I AM SO DONE WITH THIS PROJECT. -_-

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How large are the files before and after conversion? If VLC is also having issues playing back it could be a different issue.

freeze

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
have you tried lossless "pre-rendering" with a program like virtual dub?

I have no experience at all with the program you mentioned in the OP, but still... maybe it helps :)

Unknown_User12

Account Closed
Reaction score
Alright, I'm an avid Mac fanboy. Lemme help you out. List your specs, I can solve your issue. I converted to Final Cut Pro X because iMovie sucks.