Have you ever lost interest in what your channel is about?

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I love my channel, but I don't play World of Warcraft (haven't for ages) anymore, and that's what my channel is built on. So, now I upload compilation videos of clips found online, which is fun and YouTube has backed me up against copyright claims (so, I don't feel like I'm stealing).

I am also working on moving my channel to more generalized gaming topics. I'm slowly converting my channel from a popular WoW channel to a popular Top # ____ compilation type of channel. I like it a lot more :)

Have you ever lost interest in your channel, or decided to change direction a bit?

Nathan Williams

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I love my channel, but I don't play World of Warcraft (haven't for ages) anymore, and that's what my channel is built on. So, now I upload compilation videos of clips found online, which is fun and YouTube has backed me up against copyright claims (so, I don't feel like I'm stealing).

I am also working on moving my channel to more generalized gaming topics. I'm slowly converting my channel from a popular WoW channel to a popular Top # ____ compilation type of channel. I like it a lot more :)

Have you ever lost interest in your channel, or decided to change direction a bit?
I respect you for doing what you enjoy the most. I hope it works out well for you and it is your channel so you can do whatever you like mate. When I first started my channel I created different videos such as; VLOGS, Challenges and Rants. I decided to go a different direction a bit by creating reaction videos and I actually create more reaction videos now.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don´t upload as much as I did before, because I only upload whenever I have a topic to talk about, and since it´s far between my travels, I upload whenever I feel like!

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
nope. my channel is about me, i post whatever i feel like.
Have your personal interests changed over time?

I respect you for doing what you enjoy the most. I hope it works out well for you and it is your channel so you can do whatever you like mate. When I first started my channel I created different videos such as; VLOGS, Challenges and Rants. I decided to go a different direction a bit by creating reaction videos and I actually create more reaction videos now.
Thanks for saying that! I appreciaye it :)
Yeah, my channel did great with guides, but my compilations make up hundreds of thousands of views, bring in hundreds of subscribers, and seem to last (staying popular) for years whereas my guides only lasted for months.
I'm excited for these changes!

Reactions: Nathan Williams

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've definitely lost some interest because I make videos on mobile games but that entire market has just turned into a micro-transaction spending spree. It's very annoying trying to create content about a game that has half its content locked behind paying lots of money(hundreds of dollars for some people) in an endless cycle. I don't mean my current stuff so much but trying to start anything new usually requires some type of investment and that has really turned me off from a genre that I've always loved in gaming.

I'm still making videos but I look at a lot of the new stuff and see copies of games that are basically "cash grabs" and it's very hard to feel excited like I used to. I'm not sure what I'll do in the end but right now I'm just trying to avoid games where I have to buy lots of premium currency just to make basic content videos.

The mobile platform has done so much for me but I'd rather pay a flat price for the game than have to buy gems every week, even if I do make it all back it's super super annoying and stupid.

Reactions: We Are Magikarp

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've definitely lost some interest because I make videos on mobile games but that entire market has just turned into a micro-transaction spending spree. It's very annoying trying to create content about a game that has half its content locked behind paying lots of money(hundreds of dollars for some people) in an endless cycle. I don't mean my current stuff so much but trying to start anything new usually requires some type of investment and that has really turned me off from a genre that I've always loved in gaming.

I'm still making videos but I look at a lot of the new stuff and see copies of games that are basically "cash grabs" and it's very hard to feel excited like I used to. I'm not sure what I'll do in the end but right now I'm just trying to avoid games where I have to buy lots of premium currency just to make basic content videos.

The mobile platform has done so much for me but I'd rather pay a flat price for the game than have to buy gems every week, even if I do make it all back it's super super annoying and stupid.
What games are you playing??
I'm curious because I play a bunch of different mobile games, and I have fun without spending a dime on them...and there's plenty of content to record. In fact, I'm probably going to be making some mobile game videos in the future.

Edit: it looks like you've pretty much only been uploading Castle Crush videos lately, with a couple other videos. I think you should try out some similar games that you don't feel the need to spend money on. There's tons of mobile games out there. Castle Crush is obviously what your subs are interested in, but you should try to offer more variety or you'll get stuck with a bunch of subs that only want Castle Crush... and their interest (and yours) in that game won't last forever.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What games are you playing??
I'm curious because I play a bunch of different mobile games, and I have fun without spending a dime on them...and there's plenty of content to record. In fact, I'm probably going to be making some mobile game videos in the future.
Mostly free multiplayer strategy games(probably the problem haha). I've done a lot of games similar to Clash Royale or Clash of Clans but neither of those games specifically. I mean you can have fun, sure. However I just find a lot of content my subs want to see is often locked behind money, or they'd rather watch someone who is spending and unlocking new content.

I love multiplayer(mmo or moba) games but most of them are free with micro-transactions. I know free games have to make money but the spending can become excessive... If you have any suggestions though...

Recently I've played Castle Crush, Roller Coaster Tycoon Touch, Planet of Heroes, Pokemon Duel...

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mostly free multiplayer strategy games(probably the problem haha). I've done a lot of games similar to Clash Royale or Clash of Clans but neither of those games specifically. I mean you can have fun, sure. However I just find a lot of content my subs want to see is often locked behind money, or they'd rather watch someone who is spending and unlocking new content.

I love multiplayer(mmo or moba) games but most of them are free with micro-transactions. I know free games have to make money but the spending can become excessive... If you have any suggestions though...

Recently I've played Castle Crush, Roller Coaster Tycoon Touch, Planet of Heroes, Pokemon Duel...
Ah yes, those Clash games are super popular, but yeah... I've learned from experience that you need to either play a lot or pay a lot to unlock content people are interested in. Back when I played WoW competitively, it was easy because I was Rank 1 World healer on my character multiple times, so I had sick gear and always had access to content, items, and gold that many of my subscribers longed for. So I totally understand your predicament.

I'm not sure if you enjoy exploration/survival games or puzzle games, but 2D games can actually be cool for one off gameplay or review videos. Exploration/survival or shoot-em-up games can make for great montages and let's plays.

A friend of mine, and another guy I know (I think he is on YTTalk) both made tons of videos for Best Mobile Games and they usually made them monthly... like Top 20 Android Games April 2017. They both have millions of views on their channels. Those type of Top # videos and montages bring in a lot of views, which is why I do them a lot.

If you ever want to collab on something let me know :)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It's natural to change interest and grow over time. Even tv channels do this. Look at syfy and tru tv