Has YouTube killed the Seldom Uploder?

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Reaction score
Do you guys think a creator can succeed uploading a lot less regularly than what YouTube recommends? It seems like even once a week is too little these days. And what's more important, a committed schedule or just uploading more?

And with Instagram and Facebook on the rise, should a creator more focused on creating one off viral/shareable videos instead of long format stories or vlogs focus on those other platforms and not YouTube?

What do you think!?

HalieCakes

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think once a week is too little unless you have yourself extremely established. What I've been doing lately is uploading everyday but my set schedule is three days a week. I've seen a lot more views when I do it this way..but that's just my experience..I think it has to do a lot with the genre you are working with, too. It's easy for me to upload a gaming video a day, because I really don't put a lot of editing into it...unlike someone on your caliber who may take three days ( or more ) to edit a video! (Your videos are super sweet btw!)

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes. YouTube's algorithms are pleased the most by YouTubers who post multiple times a week.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Perfect example are animators. Animation used to be huge, and then YouTube favored more active uploaders. Since animations take a long time to make, people can't really upload often, so they got killed off because of these algorithms. Kinda sucks since animations on YouTube were really cool.

Reactions: Lightsen

GrimPeter

Reaction score
Yeah, its all about frequency these days. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but filmmakers who put more time into their videos aren't seeing much of a payoff. You gotta optimize your product for the medium it was made for.

Reactions: JV Trammell

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
While I agree that youtube algorithms favor regular, frequent content, this isn't exactly new. YouTube's emphasized watch time for several years now, and this has definitely benefited people who can put out more videos more frequently and get more watch time.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
YouTube might not favour it, but it doesn't mean it can be killed off. Every channel has a chance with the right audience behind it.

I would recommend you build a fanbase on twitter and tumblr, other places that subscribers can regularly talk to you. I used to just see my subs comment when I posted a vid, which was 2 - 3 times a year! Now that I have a twitter im starting to get to know my biggest supporters, getting lovely messages and fanart, and being able to show off work in progress shots of the next cartoon.
my upload rate is still a few vids a year, but I feel like a more active uploader to them.

I hear YouTube is going to introduce a community tab for us all, which makes slow uploaders able to fill out the quiet times with work in progress pictures, behind the scenes, text posts and more.
It's worth working to you own schedule that makes your videos worth it! Even if the algorithm may not favour it.

Perfect example are animators. Animation used to be huge, and then YouTube favored more active uploaders. Since animations take a long time to make, people can't really upload often, so they got killed off because of these algorithms. Kinda sucks since animations on YouTube were really cool.
not all of us, there's still plenty of animators, they are just harder to find :)

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah unfortunately the reality of YouTube is that upload frequency plays a massive factor. Once a week just gets you swamped by all the other content that other people are pushing out.

In terms of the type of content, I think both can work well if you market and create it well!

JV Trammell

A Filmmaker/Vlogger attempting to make you laugh.
Reaction score
I think once a week is too little unless you have yourself extremely established. What I've been doing lately is uploading everyday but my set schedule is three days a week. I've seen a lot more views when I do it this way..but that's just my experience..I think it has to do a lot with the genre you are working with, too. It's easy for me to upload a gaming video a day, because I really don't put a lot of editing into it...unlike someone on your caliber who may take three days ( or more ) to edit a video! (Your videos are super sweet btw!)
Thank you very much! Yeah sometimes my videos can take 30+ hours to create and with that and promotion, once a week may be all I can do.

I think I'm going to come up with a structured series where I can post often like 3 times a week but still keep up some of the quality, and occasionally when I have free time work on some of the bigger ideas I have slowly in the background and when they are ready push it in place of one of the regular episodes.

It's unfortunate that YouTube has made it like this, but maybe if i make it a challenge for myself to create something quality every two days, It'll still be creatively fulfilling.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
YouTube might not favour it, but it doesn't mean it can be killed off. Every channel has a chance with the right audience behind it.

I would recommend you build a fanbase on twitter and tumblr, other places that subscribers can regularly talk to you. I used to just see my subs comment when I posted a vid, which was 2 - 3 times a year! Now that I have a twitter im starting to get to know my biggest supporters, getting lovely messages and fanart, and being able to show off work in progress shots of the next cartoon.
my upload rate is still a few vids a year, but I feel like a more active uploader to them.

I hear YouTube is going to introduce a community tab for us all, which makes slow uploaders able to fill out the quiet times with work in progress pictures, behind the scenes, text posts and more.
It's worth working to you own schedule that makes your videos worth it! Even if the algorithm may not favour it.

not all of us, there's still plenty of animators, they are just harder to find :)
No of course if you're looking for it, it's there, but animators took a hit because YouTube wouldn't feature their content as much.

Reactions: Lightsen