Has being a creator changed how you view youtube videos?

Hopeless Insomniac

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a good day so far.

I was just curious if becoming a creator has in anyway changed how you act as a viewer. For example, since starting to make my own videos I am so much more likely to "like" a video or leave a comment. Before making videos I didn't realize how important that was and how much it could help someone out, or simply just make their day. Im a lot more conscious of trying to help out smaller youtubers because I understand that they are trying to grow just like me.
What about you?

Reactions: Noobzilla

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For me, it has not changed my view as a viewer.
I guess it´s because of my laziness of editing my videos.
I do maybe appreciate the editing of other channels though!

Reactions: Hopeless Insomniac

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I agree with you, I'm much more likely to engage with a video now that I understand the meaning behind all those things. 'Cause the YouTuber mantra of "don't forget to like, comment and subscribe" gets reduced to little more than white noise due to how ubiquitous it is if you're an average viewer, but now that I'm on the other side of the fence I finally get why every single YouTube video ends with a similar line :D So yeah, I find myself more likely to help channels out by doing such things.

Hopeless Insomniac

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
In some ways yes. Now if I see a really well edited video I'll ask myself 'how do they do that and how can I learn to do that'
I do the exact same thing. I try to learn from the videos/creators I really like and see what they are doing that works.

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
It did change. I was never logged in when I watched youtube in the past (can't be bothered to). So I never left any comments nor likes or dislikes at all back then.

Also I notice how people edit now as well. Something I've never done before.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
In some ways yes. Now if I see a really well edited video I'll ask myself 'how do they do that and how can I learn to do that'
I'm in the same boat.
I'm always thinking, "What focal length are they using?" Or, "How do they get the lighting set up like that."
I feel as if I'm more engaged in the process and content while watching now.

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've learned that even though annoying, its important to watch the ads and not block them.

Reactions: nad

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm in the same boat.
I'm always thinking, "What focal length are they using?" Or, "How do they get the lighting set up like that."
I feel as if I'm more engaged in the process and content while watching now.
Yep. I keep watching Jamie Olivers videos because obviously they are very professionally edited and I keep seeing really nice transition slides and swooshing intros and logos haha. I'm trying to figure out how that works. I'm also playing around with trying to get text to move with an object such as having text on a fridge door that moves with the door as I open it. Not easy to do in Sony Vegas lol

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not easy to do in Sony Vegas lol
I don't know Sony Vegas but I understand it's similar to Adobe Premierre which I do use. With Premierre you don't do more complicated effects (it has a lot of limitations for anything that is not editing related) but instead you use After Effects to do what it seems you want Vegas to do. Maybe Sony has an equivelent of that you can look into.