Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone every been recognized in public?

Discussion in 'YouTube Chat, Gossip & Help' started by BrettMikaluk, Feb 6, 2018.

1. BrettMikaluk
    Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
    Cash:
    $32
    I talked about this with my buddy on our podcast just yesterday, and he said that the way he would measure success on YouTube is being recognized in public!

I've actually already had this happen to me, I was at a conference with hundreds of other people (completely unrelated to YouTube in almost every way) and a girl noticed me and asked for a picture.

Because this happened to me when I only had maybe 1000 subscribers, I think the novelty of it has worn off and I wouldn't consider it a point of success! (still super cool of course, just not how I would measure my channels successfulness)

What do you guys think?

2. PictureFIT
    Super Poster
    Cash:
    $4
    Nope, and hopefully won't ever be.

You can sure use recognition as a sign of success. There are better indicators out there though.

3. Yumola
    Cash:
    $26
    It happened to me once a few years ago by a guy I had been chatting to on my old YT account. He was a Scottish voice actor and he had found my videos through Facebook sharing, only to ask me in McDonalds (where he worked) if I was Yumola! Was weird, however we're now friends to this day! :D

BrettMikaluk likes this.
  4. ellelletalk
    Super Poster
    Cash:
    $29
    I make videos about being an actuary.. so when I went to an actuary student convention, I felt like a CELEBRITY.

BrettMikaluk likes this.
  5. MikeSchimm
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $58
    I mean like if you count my friends at school then yea...

BrettMikaluk likes this.
  6. zhkopec
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $52
    Similar experience. When at 1700 subs, at a public event of ~3000. Recognized twice. Cool feeling, but it would be more impressive if It was a random street.

BrettMikaluk likes this.
  7. KatyAdelson
    I Love YTtalk Moderator
    Cash:
    $4,795
    I started getting people recognizing me way sooner than I ever would have thought... :eek: It was really unexpected. I think the amount of success it might indicate depends on your niche and what kind of content you produce, but it's kind of neat when it happens. ^_^

8. MyBigBrain
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $90
    So, when can we expect your world tour? ;)

9. iGM
    iGM
    That Scottish Guy
    Cash:
    $6
    As I have a gaming channel, i wasn't recognized in public as per say but I was recognized in a public game lobby (with random people).
    The dude knew me as he had watched videos of both my friend zTraction (who also does YouTube) and me. I dropped in a random game with random people and he was just like "Are you the YouTube IGravemind?" (my user name/alias for gaming).

Felt kinda weird. Don't really know how to describe it. We talked and I now have him added as a friend on the gaming platform I use. Nice guy.

10. Hirudov
    YTtalk Mad
    Cash:
    $388
    Yes, many many times. First time it was around five years ago (back in 2013), when I was with less than 200 subscribers. But I prefer to stay incognito, because that way I can film genuine people being themselves, and not acting for the camera and pretending they are something they are not.