H3H3 Wins Lawsuit, Monumental WIN for Fair use laws

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ethan and Hila Klein from H3H3 prodruction got sued by Matt Hoss, another youtuber for "defamation,copyright annd others" have won the lawsuit. This is a big win for all of youtube and Fair use laws and abuse.

what do you guys think of this? I think this is GREAT!.So happy for them.

Video that got them sued: watch?v=CXUs5FOo-JE&t=129s

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So a Youtuber sued a Youtuber? It woukd be more interesting if someone won a case against Sony or Viacom.
Its not the win of a century but it does effect you and me. If i were to sue you in bogus claims simply to force you to take down your video simply because i am as salty as the sea, because of this now you be more certain that the law will protect ya as long as no real infringement was done. This also makes people think twice about throwing bogus "ill sue you" claims.

Reactions: Mr.Human

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It´s good that they won, because it made the point that people can´t sue because of people have opinions about them. From I understand, The court also made some points about reacting you tubers that just sit and watch, and not comment anything, should be cautious!

Reactions: markkaz

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've never been a fan of H3H3 studios but I do admire their win for Fair Use in the court of law. Even if it was against another Youtuber. Because all of us deserve to use content under Fair Use as we please without being feared of being sued and losing. So to me this is a pretty big win. =]

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The style of video definitely helped, using clips with detailed commentary rather than showing their entire video from start to finish. As they said I still think there are a lot of react channels that are walking a very fine line and would win less of those points than H3H3 did.

The "film critique" style really played in their favor because it added additional value and transformed the original video into something different that created a different viewing experience.

Reactions: markkaz

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
The big question is, why didn't the copyright claim system catch them stealing video in the first place? I never heard of h3 until yesterday but I read the news and watched the channel. They clearly stole video and made a derivative production from it.

They should have LOST! Yea I'll say it, even though it won't be popular. Without the video that they stole, they'd have nothing on their own to present. Just commenting on it shouldn't protect them.

But in the digital era where it's easy to create something pulled from others it seems "unfair" if someone else says you can't. Had this video been on tv in 1990, the case would go the other way and no one would be surprised about it. But they rallied around the flag of "protect youtubers" to distract from the fact that they used video without permission. Even though the losing side was also a youtuber and no one cares about him.

I'm sure if a big movie studio put YouTube videos in a film people would cry foul saying it's not fair use. But because it's hip and trendy, doing it on YouTube makes it ok. I guess...

Let's try the same format of video but with a popular song, doesn't matter the singer. It's a guarantee that's you'd get your video taken down and if you sued, you'd lose easily. But again I guess it's "artists trying to make a living" or something.

Then just watching their videos, they come off as really scuzzy people. Their whole racket seems to be taking other videos and making comments on them, mostly mean ones at that.

I'm sure to get booed for what I've said but if someone agrees deep down with me then stand up and say so. After all your videos are now fair game for anyone to say and do almost anything they want with them and hide behind fair use because they talked over it.

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The only negative result am scared of coming from this is that reaction channels might get a boost from this.