Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
[Guide] Script Writing - Scripting A Video: The Process

So, YOU are wondering about scripting videos and the process? You've come to the right place. I run a lore and story channel that also produces loosely based video game content as well as videos regarding the background of some of our most favourite fictional characters as well as Star Wars videos.

For an example, I produce a series called "Who Is?" which is a Lore show that goes behind the backstory of popular heroes and villains from our favourite fictional franchises to teach people about the character. Because of these franchises being so special to many people, it is crucial that I script them for multiple reasons:
  • So information is correct - Fans pick up on minor details if they are wrong!
  • Not scripting may make the narration slightly boring if you pause a lot or use "ummmm" sounds a lot in between thinking.
  • Without it, the video may be longer and less structured.

My Channel > Crusader Shorts

As you can see, as my most popular video, it shows that by scripting the video, we have done something right. It also shows by looking at the length, that the video is still fairly long, however with making a script, we have managed to keep it under 20 minutes in length. This was one of my first bigger videos when starting my channel.

You must note that:
  • People want to Learn As Much As Possible in the Fastest Way Possible.
This means that making a script that delivers all the information you wish to teach or give out in the shortest duration will keep viewers watching till the end and maintain viewer retention. An unscripted video that rambles on and lasts for too long will have:
  • Poor Retention
  • Bad Like/Dislike Ratio
  • Fall-Off Of Views
  • Not Promoted if Stats do badly
Ways To Script Your Video

There are multiple ways that you can create a script. But first, you must analyze what your genre of content is. For an example, a script for a comedy skit/sketch or a short drama/film video will have the structure that is more like a TV/Movie script and you must lookup the format. You can also get templates for these for Microsoft word.

If you're doing a form of commentary or narration such as my channel in our case study here, you can either write up a full script like I do, or write small queues or subject lines in notepad to have on the corner of your screen or other monitor when recording so you know what to discuss or talk about without overly structuring it so you don't forget anything.

How I Write My Videos

I used Microsoft Word to write out my videos. For a video about character lore, I will first extensively research multiple sources for the background or story of that character by gathering information from multiple Wiki sites (Such as the Star Wars 'Wookiepedia') official fan sites, books, comics etc. This is the research stage. After making sure all my information is correct, I will begin the script.

I will begin with the introduction by writing out a small opening line to introduce the channel and show. For an example, I usually write something like this:

"Welcome back to another episode of "Who Is" on Crusader Shorts, the show where we look at your favourite characters from videogames, TV and Films and look into their lore and backstory. In this episode we look into "Character Name Here".

As you can see, I have introduced the channel name to resonate with viewers as well as the show or series that the episode is part of. I then explain briefly what the show is about and what will happen in this episode in around two to three lines. This is an optimal and snappy introduction to grab the viewers attention without boring them as they also want to jump to the content.

The next stage is the main bulk of the script. I will then write up all about the character and their background as well as their back story that is chronilogically ordered by the events that take place on the timeline in that fiction (especially important with Star Wars etc) so everything is in order.

The Last Stage is an outro. Just like any YouTube Tips we need to create the Outro with the Call To Action. This would go something like this (My show example case study again)

Thanks for watching the video. If you enjoyed the video, please give it a like. If you have any suggestions for future episodes or feedback, feel free to leave them in the comment section below. So you don't miss out on future episodes, make sure you Subscribe.

Like with the intro, we have created a strong and snappy outro. This is really important. If you have been successful with the actual content/body of your video and managed to maintain audience retention, viewers will have watched to the end and this outro is crucial to keep them hooked or to bring them back next time as fans or subscribers.

As you can see we firstly thanked the viewers for watching. Thanking viewers gives them a sense of accomplishment by acknowledging their use in helping you by watching and that they can contribute by something so simple. Another example of giving the audience meaning and appreciation is when we said comment below with your suggestions for future videos or feedback. We created a call to action for the fans to comment as well as give their suggestions. We give the audience a feeling of importance that their contributions and suggestions will impact the content you will create. Giving the audience this power can be useful especially if they come back for more, give the people what they want.

And finally, we create a call to action to subscribe so they dont miss any future content. If they enjoyed this video you made, they dont want to miss anything so they will most likely subscribe, especially since you reminded them.

Thanks a lot for reading my guide. I hope it helped anyone starting a fresh or anyone new to YouTube. I will try to create more guides to help people out.

I hope this offers some kind of use or value to users especially new ones!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks:up2: I always have to do a script for my videos.. Or else I would get stuck, and it also has to do with timing:)

Ranabee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I loved it and it really helped me ! Thank you ! :)