[Guide] A cheaper way to start a Gaming YouTube Channel!

FocusedPotato

Reaction score
Glued to the monitor looking for steam deals
Channel Type
Gamer
Warning
I am not responsible for and damaged hardware or software. No torrents are being used and I do NOT encourage the use of any kind of torrenting in this guide.

Introduction

Hey guys! FocusedPotato here and I had some trouble finding software, hardware and many other things to start a YouTube channel. After I found them though, I was amazed how much I could do with the $150 dollar budget I had. I'll start off with with the editor that I use. Please note that this guide is offering instructions for PC Gamers only, but console Gamers could easily add an Elgato game capture to their setup and record their Xbox/PS4.

Recording Program
Open Broadcaster Software
Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) Is a very nice piece of software that is very versatile. It allows for multiple sources to be captured at once (Game, Face cam, Audio, Random cat video, etc) All in one stream.
OBS allows you to stream video to Twitch, YouTube Gaming, etc or save it locally to your computer to be edited. OBS is very nice and with so many features, I couldn't live without it.

Editor Program

HitFilm 3 Express
This is an incredible software that I believe is vital to the entire video making process.
If you want something more advance than movie maker, or I even like to think Sony's Movie Studio, Then this is the software you might want to get. It includes many special effects, a compositing editor, and many other great features all for FREE. This is a completely FREE software FOR LIFE! And that's why I use HitFilm 3 Express as my editor for my YouTube videos.

Microphone
Blue Yeti
The Blue Yeti retails for about $100 to $120 USD and has amazing sound quality. You can adjust the Gain, and recording mode on the fly. The Blue Yeti also comes with a NO latency sound repeater for the Aux. device that is plugged into the bottom, like your headset. I highly recommend this microphone because of it's ability to have voice playback, which is very important so you don't rage scream while your streaming.
This is also a very nice microphone for podcasts.

Computer
Custom Built PC...
Okay, so this is obviously not going to be covered with my $150 budget, but if you are a gamer you might have a nice rig. My rig has a Intel Core i7 6700k, 16GB 2133 HyperX Fury RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB of video ram.

Conclusion
I hope that this guide helped you. I use all of these things daily for making videos. I trust in these products knowing that in the end I can share it with everyone else. Thank you guys so much for reading this. "Thanks for watching!" (I feel like I could turn this into English Class and get an A :) )

Last edited:

TalkFandomToMe

The Cake Is a Lie!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I agree with most everything on this list EXCEPT for the microphone part. Blue Yetis are overpriced for what they actually offer.

A better choice would be a "Samson C01UCW Studio USB Mic with Cakewalk Sonar LE" for only $50. They're pretty studio quality and cost-efficient as well for someone just starting out.

Not Mikey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
I'm a bit confused with the Blue Yeti, I have one however it really picks up the slightest background noise and it just sounds like a laptop microphone.

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with most everything on this list EXCEPT for the microphone part. Blue Yetis are overpriced for what they actually offer.

A better choice would be a "Samson C01UCW Studio USB Mic with Cakewalk Sonar LE" for only $50. They're pretty studio quality and cost-efficient as well for someone just starting out.
I added that mic to my wish list.

I had a Yeti for me the only downside was the size. I travel a lot and the only way to take it is in my luggage and last time it did not survive the trip. As a quick replacement I bought a snowball which I can fit in my carry on. Its really not bad for what I do but I want something better.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused with the Blue Yeti, I have one however it really picks up the slightest background noise and it just sounds like a laptop microphone.
Step #1 Turn Gain Down
Step #2 Move Mic Closer To Face
Step #3 Profit.

Most condensers work best at around 6-8 inches from the sound source (ie your mouth). The further away you are, the less force your voice hits the mic with and thus the more obvious background audio is.

Not Mikey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Step #1 Turn Gain Down
Step #2 Move Mic Closer To Face
Step #3 Profit.

Most condensers work best at around 6-8 inches from the sound source (ie your mouth). The further away you are, the less force your voice hits the mic with and thus the more obvious background audio is.
I'll give it a test this afternoon, thanks.

SamuelBrice

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If your just starting out YouTube isn't $150 a bit steep? You can get a decent headset with a mic for less than $100 until you decide whether its something your going to continue???

Reactions: Mesdi

Not Mikey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
If your just starting out YouTube isn't $150 a bit steep? You can get a decent headset with a mic for less than $100 until you decide whether its something your going to continue???
Some people know it's what they want to do before they start and therefore put in their all to having the best gear to make the best content.

Reactions: SamuelBrice

Beanie Boy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I got my Blue Snowball for around $60-$70, and it works pretty well for my stuff. As I create more content that isn't just Let's Plays, I'll get a Yeti as I feel it'll be better quality and bring out my voice better.