Guidance please for first-timer being blocked when 100s of others aren't. Missing something?

hannay

Reaction score
Having noticed a number of YT videos using sections from the tv programme Top Gear humerously, I thought I would have a bit of fun with the idea too.

There are VERY very many TG videos overall, including shows and specials added by the Programme itself.

But there is a very large number of feature-segments, highlights, funny moments and more added by TG fans and motoring enthusiasts not connected with the programme. Some of the segments are untouched, others are edited for creative effect such as Clarkson Beatbox, Top Gear Dubstep series, and numerous others, a couple of which have even themselves been shown on the programme for a chuckle I understand.

I was pleased with my own result, a video taking a 2.5 minute section from a TG episode with a little gentle editing to make it keep to the beat of a song I had written for it. When uploading it I was notified however that my vid was identified as relating to a particular series/episode of the programme, and was blocked worldwide.

Given the huge amount of fan-type material on YT using anything from a few seconds up to 20+mins of programme material, I hadn't expected that notification.

I looked again at those already existing, and all I can see of any obvious relevance is that many had included a TG credit in their fuller description, which I didn't do.

So my question is, how do I formulate my upload properly so that it is available for viewing as those many others are? Is the absence of a credit the reason, and this somehow gets automatically picked-up and opens the door? Or do I perhaps need to avoid trigger words in the tags that make YT think I am pirating an entire programme? Something else?

This is my first YT upload at all, so I just went ahead and filled out the description/upload boxes fully and properly as I have no wish be sneaky or anything ... I had just expected to be able to make my song available for others to enjoy who like the Show and Clarkson/May/Hammond's bantering etc.

If someone more expert can guide me regarding what I have perhaps missed or have not done correctly I would be very grateful, and will have learned something as well.

Whilst my own query relates to the TV programme Top Gear, the principle behind it no doubt applies very widely anyway.

With thanks.

Restart

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are way too many different scenarios. The copyright holder can take any of them down for whatever reason. But just because others have uploaded those, doesn't mean that makes it okay. Maybe there is a contract between them, maybe they just don't want any more of their stuff being uploaded anymore, and very likely they hate when people upload their stuffs in highest quality. Long story short, they exist because the rightful owner wants them to.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If someone more expert can guide me regarding what I have perhaps missed or have not done correctly I would be very grateful, and will have learned something as well.
It's pretty simple. You have uploaded content that doesn't belong to you. That is an infringement of copyright. Forget about what other people are doing, because it doesn't concern anyone else except the copyright holder and the uploader.

Upload your own content and you will be fine. Good luck :)