Great Videos or Great YouTube Channel?

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
There are a lot of posts here that discuss the importance of producing good quality videos, and a great deal of posts that address the importance of SEO.

Since I started on youtube I have been trying to understand SEO and "tweaking" my channel, and was recently in a position to measure it's importance in a tangible way:

The company I work for has a sizeable marketing budget and is a major player in the yachting industry. They have a youtube channel, but they have really never done anything to build it or optimise it in any way. They published my last two videos on their channel at roughly the same time as me, and the difference in results is astounding:

VIDEO 1 (posted 1 week ago) - Their channel 40 views - My channel 2,102 views.
VIDEO 2 (posted two months ago) - Their channel 133 views - My channel 99,275 views

In my opinion many businesses don't use youtube videos as a primary marketing tool because they have not seen instant results in terms of a high view count and enquiries. This is in spite of the fact that a) they know that youtube is the second biggest search engine in the world, and b) everybody is telling them that video is the most important online medium.

The above is a very clear indicator that it is not enough just to produce quality material and cross your fingers in the hope it will go viral. You have to also care for your channel, tweak it, and constantly improve it in order to get the best distribution possible. It seems like a terrible waste of time and money to produce promotional videos if you do not put the effort into the channel that is used to distribute them.

I know that most YTT members produce videos that are for entertainment rather than to promote a product or service...but the principle still holds true: Look after your channel!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
VIDEO 1 (posted 1 week ago) - Their channel 40 views - My channel 2,102 views.
VIDEO 2 (posted two months ago) - Their channel 133 views - My channel 99,275 views

The above is a very clear indicator that it is not enough just to produce quality material and cross your fingers in the hope it will go viral. You have to also care for your channel, tweak it, and constantly improve it in order to get the best distribution possible. It seems like a terrible waste of time and money to produce promotional videos if you do not put the effort into the channel that is used to distribute them.
Wow! It DOES really matter..
Great quality videos, BTW.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

WannaBeDerp

I've Got It
Reaction score
For advertising it's the best to obviously focus on the product and the campaign than to actually make good 'content'. My channle is just for entertainment purposes!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

I'm guessing the other channel owner doesn't upload frequently? :)

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
In my opinion many businesses don't use youtube videos as a primary marketing tool because they have not seen instant results in terms of a high view count and enquiries. This is in spite of the fact that a) they know that youtube is the second biggest search engine in the world, and b) everybody is telling them that video is the most important online medium.

The thing is, YouTube requires some form of long-term strategy that needs to fit in with the rest of many big businesses' already existing structure of marketing. That in itself makes it difficult to convince management that it's worth pursuing on their own. So instead of creating their own content, they opt to pay influencers who have already gained a sizeable audience and following. That's just more efficient use of their money, and is something that's pretty good for us as content creators. At least the money isn't circulating amongst all the big companies in this kind of ecosystem (though there are obviously some bad sides to the current arrangements as well).

Also have to take into account that the amount of money they spend on developing a YouTube channel could easily be spent on making one great video and boosting it through Facebook Ads, which allow you to specifically target the kind of audience you want to reach.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

I'm guessing the other channel owner doesn't upload frequently? :)
Actually they have twice as any videos as my channel and upload far ore often, since they have about 50 brokers working for them, many of whom occasionally want to use video to promote the yachts they sell.
The big difference is that their titles are very poor, descriptions and tags non-existent, they don't use cards or annotations or watermarks....basically NO SEO whatsoever.

For example, if I have a 120' yacht for sale I will use the words "120' yacht for sale" in the title. They, on the other hand, will simply use the name of the yacht. One of the videos they have posted is called "Annagine". Obviously, the Youtube search engine cannot possibly identify this as a yacht by the name alone, so it gets lost in cyber space.

All of the good advice we read on YTT and elsewhere we tend to take for granted, but when you look at a channel that has good solid video material but does not have access to all this great advice it is remarkable what a difference it makes.[DOUBLEPOST=1490020044,1490019843][/DOUBLEPOST]
instead of creating their own content, they opt to pay influencers who have already gained a sizeable audience and following. That's just more efficient use of their money
That is a very astute observation.

My YouTube channel is relatively successful because I am obsessed with it. I constantly look at the analytics, talk about it, and think about ways I can improve it.

Most businesses will never find somebody capable of doing this for them, so it is more cost effective to piggy-back off an existing channel, or an "influencer" who can give the instant access to an extensive following.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
That is a very astute observation.

My YouTube channel is relatively successful because I am obsessed with it. I constantly look at the analytics, talk about it, and think about ways I can improve it.

Most businesses will never find somebody capable of doing this for them, so it is more cost effective to piggy-back off an existing channel, or an "influencer" who can give the instant access to an extensive following.
Haha yeah, it's basically how economists see it: if someone can do a job more efficiently than you can, you should outsource it so you can have more time to do what you do best. Practically what most heads of companies are considering when making their decisions.

With big businesses out of the way though, it allows smaller companies like yours to shine on the YouTube platform. So if anything, I'm actually pretty grateful it's like this. At least, small companies + content creators are allowed to have this opportunity on YouTube. :)

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Love your presenting skills. You could easily work on tv. As far as SEO on your channel, it's very important I completely agree. I'm having a hard time ranking for my videos though despite the keyword research long detailed descriptions and proper titles lol. I've had a couple of videos hit over the 1k views Mark, but I feel I could be getting more, I'm just not sure what else I can do apart from what I already am doing like reddit Facebook twitter etc. I'll just keep plugging away I guess and hope I get picked up by the algorithm

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Love your presenting skills. You could easily work on tv. As far as SEO on your channel, it's very important I completely agree. I'm having a hard time ranking for my videos though despite the keyword research long detailed descriptions and proper titles lol. I've had a couple of videos hit over the 1k views Mark, but I feel I could be getting more, I'm just not sure what else I can do apart from what I already am doing like reddit Facebook twitter etc. I'll just keep plugging away I guess and hope I get picked up by the algorithm
THANKS! Very kind.
Consistency and persistence are key. You've got a really good channel but you're in a crowded market place, I'm very lucky because there is no Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver of yachts... you on the other hand have lots of people of all kinds of calibers doing cooking videos. You only need one video to "pop" and you should be able to get a good slice of the pie (to use a cooking analogy...)

Reactions: adams eats

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So you have proven to us that you are good at SEO.
What are your top 3 (or more) tips to improve our SEO (In General)?