Great Sub growth after being on the front page of Reddit's r/videos [charts included]

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I've had my first experience getting my main 'Political Junkie' channel to the front page of r/videos. At the peak I was #7, but I spent the vast majority of the time in slot #12

A couple things to expect...

upload_2016-11-10_17-47-37.png

1)
Traffic was nice. If you get to the same spot as me, you can expect around 54,000 views over the course of the day. This chart is missing one day of data, but you get the idea.

upload_2016-11-10_17-54-19.png

Watch time spiked, but there was a price...

2)
It smashed my audience retention as thousands of people clicked in and out. Here is the data from last week before the post.

upload_2016-11-10_17-51-11.png

And here it is from this week with the post included.

upload_2016-11-10_17-52-37.png

3)
Like to dislike ratio also moved in the dislike direction, but overall interaction was high.

upload_2016-11-10_17-55-11.png

4)
The best day for subs in my entire channel's history.

upload_2016-11-10_18-2-51.png

5)
Comments were mostly positive; some were very positive. But others were extraordinarily personal and negative. Be prepared for the worst when you have this experience. For example, "F*$k your chauvinism, Will Fox" was part of a long tirade.
I don't hide my real name, but it is still shocking to see someone use it in such an aggresive context.

I'm sure we'll be talking about this soon. Does anyone else have a similar experience? I can only imagine what it feels like to be #1.

Attachments

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So I've had my first experience getting my main 'Political Junkie' channel to the front page of r/videos. At the peak I was #7, but I spent the vast majority of the time in slot #12

A couple things to expect...

View attachment 38471

1)
Traffic was nice. If you get to the same spot as me, you can expect around 54,000 views over the course of the day. This chart is missing one day of data, but you get the idea.

View attachment 38474

Watch time spiked, but there was a price...

2)
It smashed my audience retention as thousands of people clicked in and out. Here is the data from last week before the post.

View attachment 38472
I've had other people post my videos to Reddit, that's the only time I had real traffic from that site. Nothing like what you are showing though. Did you post your own video or did somebody else share it?

And here it is from this week with the post included.

View attachment 38473

3)
Like to dislike ratio also moved in the dislike direction, but overall interaction was high.

View attachment 38475

4)
The best day for subs in my entire channel's history.

View attachment 38476

5)
Comments were mostly positive; some were very positive. But others were extraordinarily personal and negative. Be prepared for the worst when you have this experience. For example, "F*$k your chauvinism, Will Fox" was part of a long tirade.
I don't hide my real name, but it is still shocking to see someone use it in such an aggresive context.

I'm sure we'll be talking about this soon. Does anyone else have a similar experience? I can only imagine what it feels like to be #1.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
@Munchito696 Did you mean to post an empty response? Or did your text get deleted?
that's weird. I originally said I've never had luck with Reddit besides when somebody else posts my videos there. Even then it's only got me a couple hundred extra views. Did you post your own video to Reddit or did somebody else share it?

KateLovesDiy

Reaction score
Congratulations on making reddits first page! :bounce:

I posted my video in a subreddit about nail art. People were nice to me there. But I read you have to be very careful about where you post your videos over there, post it in the wrong section and people get mean.
I don't really know how to properly use the site, it seems rather complex for my tiny brain to figure out.

But you've proven it is a good way to get people to see your videos!

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that's weird. I originally said I've never had luck with Reddit besides when somebody else posts my videos there. Even then it's only got me a couple hundred extra views. Did you post your own video to Reddit or did somebody else share it?
I didn't post my own, and I don't know who the poster is. I stopped posting myself a while back because it wasn't producing very good results.[DOUBLEPOST=1478856898,1478822523][/DOUBLEPOST]
Congratulations on making reddits first page! :bounce:

I posted my video in a subreddit about nail art. People were nice to me there. But I read you have to be very careful about where you post your videos over there, post it in the wrong section and people get mean.
I don't really know how to properly use the site, it seems rather complex for my tiny brain to figure out.

But you've proven it is a good way to get people to see your videos!
I think the main idea is to participate in the community as much as possible, and not to go in with the intent of self-promoting. When the right moment comes, you'll be so integrated into the group that you'll know exactly what they want to see in a video.
Or, you know... be very sneaky like some people on this forum brag about. I don't play with fire like that, but some people on here seem to have had success with that

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Super-interesting post, thanks. I signed up to reddit this morning. I wanted to post my latest video on the "videos" subreddit that has about 13,000,000 subscribers, then I read that new reddit users can't do that so I've posted on a smaller subreddit instead. To be honest I find the reddit site confusing and difficult to use, but it looks like you can achieve good results if you stick with it.

KateLovesDiy

Reaction score
Super-interesting post, thanks. I signed up to reddit this morning. I wanted to post my latest video on the "videos" subreddit that has about 13,000,000 subscribers, then I read that new reddit users can't do that so I've posted on a smaller subreddit instead. To be honest I find the reddit site confusing and difficult to use, but it looks like you can achieve good results if you stick with it.
Im so glad you said you also find it difficult to use as I was starting to get annoyed with myself for not being able to figure out how to properly use the Reddit. I can even find the subreddits I subscribed to :confused:
I just checked my YouTube analytics and the majority of my views have come from Reddit and I only posted it in one subreddit. So I guess its worth while learning to use the site properly!

Last edited: