IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
DSLR's don't have video autofocus, and gopros have terrible sound
so try something else
Incorrect.

Some DSLRs DO have Video Autofocus. My DSLR does (Canon EOS 70D).
Almost all cameras have terrible sound, hence you use an external mic with them - just like you can with a GoPro (with adapter)

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
In response to the OP, my advice would be neither.

If it was for sitting and talking etc - then a DSLR with external mic is great.
If it was for out and about you could get away with a GoPro with external mic, as its so versatile it can mount anywhere!

In your case, since you want to use it in both scenarios, I would recommend a mix of both. Something with great quality, but something small and light like a GoPro.

Take a look at the Canon PowerShot S95. Its almost a 'pro compact' camera. Many professional photographers carry a S95 for when they dont have their full DSLR kit with them. Reason being the larger sensor in the unit. It captures images and video of a much higher quality in lower light conditions as well, due to the larger sensor. Take a look at online reviews - they are almost all very positive. Ive owned one myself for a while and thought it was a fantastic, and portable unit. Set it on a tripod and you have your home sit and talk situations covered, yet its small and light enough to vlog on the move as well.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Incorrect.

Some DSLRs DO have Video Autofocus. My DSLR does (Canon EOS 70D).
Almost all cameras have terrible sound, hence you use an external mic with them - just like you can with a GoPro (with adapter)
Well yes they do, but it's so terrible it might not exist.
I'm sure you can get a lense that has decent autofocus and that is silent, but it's not really worth it for vlogging since you could get a pretty damn good handycam or other for the same price.

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well yes they do, but it's so terrible it might not exist.
I'm sure you can get a lense that has decent autofocus and that is silent, but it's not really worth it for vlogging since you could get a pretty damn good handycam or other for the same price.
Its just come along now - the Canon EOS 70D is the first DSLR with Dual-Pixel CMOS AF - buttery smooth autofocus thats fast - like camcorders. No more searching for that focal point!
Stepper Motor lenses (STM) are completely silent as well, so if you were to use the built in mic you wouldnt get that refocusing noise all the time, but on board mics are generally rubbish anyway so better to use an external in the first instance!

Is it worth it for vlogging - no its not. I still think a small compact camera is perfect for vlogging ;)

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Its just come along now - the Canon EOS 70D is the first DSLR with Dual-Pixel CMOS AF - buttery smooth autofocus thats fast - like camcorders. No more searching for that focal point!
Stepper Motor lenses (STM) are completely silent as well, so if you were to use the built in mic you wouldnt get that refocusing noise all the time, but on board mics are generally rubbish anyway so better to use an external in the first instance!

Is it worth it for vlogging - no its not. I still think a small compact camera is perfect for vlogging ;)
Well that's good to know! Haven't tried a 70D so was mostly speaking from personal experience :)
..Kind of wish I have one for some nice autofocus..

Reactions: IftiBashir

Chema

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I was wondering what sort of a camera would be suitable for both on-the-go vlogging and just ´normal´ vlogs where you sit down and explain yourself. I might have asked this already on the forums, but haven't yet come to a decision. I do realize that a DSLR would usually be quite costly so that's a factor as well... I have no clue what kind of equipment vloggers use to get get both good video and audio quality. I would like to find a suitable capture device (perhaps specialized in capturing video, instead of, photos) at a decent price. Thanks for your advice!
I currently own a DSLR and I love it. There are downsides to using a this type a camera with a vlogging videos. For example, DSLR cameras don't have the worlds greatest audio. It is mono and sounds low quality. The image quality is amazing though. Although you would think that just buying a good DSLR and buying cheap lenses will provide you with outstanding quality, this is not the case. You need decent lenses to get a amazing image quality. Now like i mentioned earlier they don't have the worlds greatest audio, so buying a external microphone would be a great addition to this device. I own a Rode video mic pro and i'm going to be honest with you...it works wonders. The audio sounds clean and professional!
Using a DSLR especially for new users is going to take a little bit longer to get used to especially if you are used to traditional video cameras. DSLR's usually do not have autofocus like traditional video cameras. I say usually because
there some that do have Autofocus during video recording, such as the Canon 70D.
GoPros in the other hand is better suited for action sports and fast paces activities such as skydiving, diving, etc. They also do not have world class audio though.

In conclusion any of the devices can acheive close to the same effect is you add on to it with accesories. In my case I am sticking with my Canon 60D because i already have a video capable camera and with time i have added more things to it. Point and shoot cameras might be an option!

I hope i helped a little. haha! I better go, I have class in 5 minutes! xD

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well that's good to know! Haven't tried a 70D so was mostly speaking from personal experience :)
..Kind of wish I have one for some nice autofocus..

I'll be demo'ing and testing the autofocus on it in my next video ;)

AlfieVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Gonna go for the GoPro on this one!