Googling my channel and latest video found some weird stuff

umbysworld

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I googled my channel name and found several websites, mostly foreign, that have hijacked my videos. I don't really understand why. They might just be linking to them instead of them being uploaded independently, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't want to click on anything. One site was just for downloading mp3s. Another was just hijacking youtube altogether.

Then I googled the title of my latest video and saw that the description is completely different than the actual description. It's a music video about Gary Oldman, and the description is "You're welcome, internet" followed by [Thanks for visiting Umby's World] and my twitter. But in the google search the description is "LIVE Nursery Rhymes and Kids Songs! Best Baby Songs by Teehee Town Teehee Town - Nursery Rhymes and ..." The only thing I can think of that's in any way related is that a previous music video of mine gets mistakenly associated with Sesame Street.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone? What did you do about it? I'm not sure how much I care, but I do find the description thing to be a little annoying considering my channel has some videos that are really inappropriate for kids.

ProXima123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmmm, That's really weird. I personally don't think that's happened to me at all, but who knows?

Aventus

Reaction score
I've run into a lot of weird copycat sites that rip posts straight from places like Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Not sure why but they're likely profiting off of it in some way or has something malicious installed. Be careful about clicking those sites.

Reactions: umbysworld

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Wasn't there something with YT and "child's videos" with indecent or disturbing contents lately?

Reactions: ProXima123

umbysworld

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Wasn't there something with YT and "child's videos" with indecent or disturbing contents lately?
Yeah, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. That has to do with videos starring popular characters where they trick you into watching something indecent. I just happened to write a song about a cat named Elmo and now the algorithms want to group me in with kids stuff.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Heaps of my YT videos are 'shared' on on other websites. Some of the websites modify the code so that there is no option for the viewer to click to go to the video on YT. Some sites also have a download button that viewers can click to download videos straight to their computer as a movie file. I am guessing these sites make money by displaying advertising on the site.

In YT analytics, I believe that "unknown or infrequent" sources of external traffic come from these sites.

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i've seen these before and i think they're doing it to make money from their website ads rather than anything sinister. they rename the videos to whatever will get more clicks.
if it's just a few websites you can block your videos from being embedded on them... in your channel settings somewhere this is a 'Block embedding on domains' section.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen it myself in the past. Most of them just embed whatever stream YouTube is sending out though. The only time I noticed one of my videos was ripped was a Mad Max Facebook page. When I told him to take it off he got all pissy. I simply stated it was my video and he did not have permission to upload it. Had he asked I would have simply said: Link to my channel. I went through the time to film and edit the short, don't just rip a video and screw over a channel owner in the process.