Good tips on using a green screen

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just recently purchased a green screen and I was woundring if you have any good tips for me before I use it or anything I should know?:)

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lighting is key. You want to make sure the entire green screen is illumined and you yourself do not put a shadow on that screen. You got to key yourself out and do NOT wear anything remotely green. I made that mistake once. Luckily it was an off green, which by luck still stayed visible.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lighting is key. You want to make sure the entire green screen is illumined and you yourself do not put a shadow on that screen. You got to key yourself out and do NOT wear anything remotely green. I made that mistake once. Luckily it was an off green, which by luck still stayed visible.
I don’t ever where green, the only color I wear usually is black. I got a ring light and to umbrella lights and two soft box lights. Any advice on how to not create a shadow with myself?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
For chroma keying try and get a uniform lighting to hit the green screen. You don't want any light focused in a particular place. You also don't want any shadows on your screen or creases in it. If you bought a proper one it will probably work great. Its just when you start trying to fashion a DIY set up from a sheet or similar that it may not work well.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For chroma keying try and get a uniform lighting to hit the green screen. You don't want any light focused in a particular place. You also don't want any shadows on your screen or creases in it. If you bought a proper one it will probably work great. Its just when you start trying to fashion a DIY set up from a sheet or similar that it may not work well.
I bought a green screen and it came with a stand a stand, lights and back a couple backdrops. It cost a lot of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: UhoohExtra

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

Reactions: Courtney Candice

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
As a rule of thumb, buy whatever only you need bad. A green screen is a great tool though. You can present yourself or you can extract moving objects without the backround and use for a variety of uses. As already said, good lighting. In software if you do not get it right in the first time you will have to experiment a little with parameters to get the best result but then it is easy. You can make DIY backdrops (non monochrome of-course) depending to your taste and be like your vlog background signature. Good luck, enjoy the new stuff! :)

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As a rule of thumb, buy whatever only you need bad. A green screen is a great tool though. You can present yourself or you can extract moving objects without the backround and use for a variety of uses. As already said, good lighting. In software if you do not get it right in the first time you will have to experiment a little with parameters to get the best result but then it is easy. You can make DIY backdrops (non monochrome of-course) depending to your taste and be like your vlog background signature. Good luck, enjoy the new stuff! :)
I used a couple of the backdrops i purchased in my last couple videos, that way in I’m modeling clothes people see more of applying background that me just standing in front of my couch. I also thought the backdrops would be good when I do Sponsorships, I’ve got a couple offers but I didn’t take those because I didn’t like the products they wanted me to sell.

Reactions: videoeditgr