Good Content versus Good looks

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I've been on YouTube for 10 years. I've had several channels and a bit of success. I know life isn't fair, but it does get frustrating when you come up with ideas and put a lot f hard work into making something new and interesting and you get a few views. Then you see a young attractive girl/guy make a completely stupid video that takes off for no reason but the fact that they are young and attractive. Nothing I can do it about it. Just wanted to complain and I know the interwebs will listen.

Might be time for plastic surgery. Or a time machine. Doc? Marty?

Becky Keegan

The Nerd Of YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I know right? On youtube the attractive people are treated like gods, while us, being attractive in our own way, and push to the bottom of the pile. It sucks but who cares, most of the attractive people seem to let all the compliments go to their heads anyway XD

Reactions: AM2PM

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I know right? On youtube the attractive people are treated like gods, while us, being attractive in our own way, and push to the bottom of the pile. It sucks but who cares, most of the attractive people seem to let all the compliments go to their heads anyway XD
They say content is king. I think that wins out in the end, but in the beginning? Good looks help a great deal. In life as well as YouTube.

Becky Keegan

The Nerd Of YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
They say content is king. I think that wins out in the end, but in the beginning? Good looks help a great deal. In life as well as YouTube.
Mhm, but don't worry too much about it, what I always do is metaphorically stick two fingers up to the attractive people and be attractive in my own way :D Bring your personality out :D

TheCameronWatson

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's annoying but that's the way it is! I mean I don't think I make the best content but it is better that Jacob Sartorius' stuff, but whatever I do he is likely to have a career for years.. and he's 13 haha! However I do feel hard work pays off, I've been on youtube now for around 5 years on a number of different channels and this is the one that has had the most success (still minimal) but I have had it the longest and put my best effort into it.

However, as long as you enjoy what you do then it shouldn't matter too much! Keep making ya content and have fun with it man!!

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think it's really more on the content. Some women who look good also have great personalities and a strong connection with their audience.

I've seen good looking women who have crappy mics, talk about their day and that's it and have 4 subscribers.

You might need to look a little deeper in to what really makes them a good YouTuber, other than looks.

Last edited:

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's the entertainment industry. Looks are always going to trump a lot of other stuff. I've had a well-regarded hair series (with more videos than just about anyone else in the "hair community") that gets a lot of praise from the guys who are looking for information, but a brand-new guy who has posted his first "5 month hair update" can get 5-10 times the views that I do, just from the thumbnail pic.

It's not something I stress too much about. I know I'm way aged out of the YouTube demographic, but it's a thing that people do have to be realistic about, when it comes to expectations, I think.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you study persuasion psychology, it's 58% body language (which include looks), 35% voice tonality, and only 7% words. I get around by hiding mostly behind whiteboard animation. Some people just have the physical advantage. I see it like sports. There's gonna people like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt just born with the right physiques. But for the most part, hard work and talent will triumph.

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I
If you study persuasion psychology, it's 58% body language (which include looks), 35% voice tonality, and only 7% words. I get around by hiding mostly behind whiteboard animation. Some people just have the physical advantage. I see it like sports. There's gonna people like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt just born with the right physiques. But for the most part, hard work and talent will triumph.
Amen

umbysworld

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm subscribed to a channel just because I have a crush on one of the guys. UMBY IS NOT HELPING! LOL

Reactions: xingcat