Going Live on Youtube?

VeryCoolGuy Construction

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys!

We have a Q & A series on Wednesdays that we are considering going live for. We have no experience going live and could use some pointer on how to get started, so any advice or tips would be appreciated! Thanks again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I've been doing live graphic design streams daily for two weeks now. I downloaded Open Broadcaster Software for my Mac and used it to stream to YouTube. Search OBS and YouTube and you should find a guide for it. It's been fun so far

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Do a test broadcast first so you know all your kit is set up correctly. Also make sure your wifi has good signal so it doesn't buffer or cut out mid stream ☺

VeryCoolGuy Construction

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been doing live graphic design streams daily for two weeks now. I downloaded Open Broadcaster Software for my Mac and used it to stream to YouTube. Search OBS and YouTube and you should find a guide for it. It's been fun so far
Thank you![DOUBLEPOST=1491829255,1491829233][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do a test broadcast first so you know all your kit is set up correctly. Also make sure your wifi has good signal so it doesn't buffer or cut out mid stream ☺
Thank you for the tips!

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
FYI, to run a test, set your stream to private when you're in the live streaming section on YouTube. I've done that a couple times to make sure my audio/video is good when I make a major change

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Make sure you notify your audience about your upcoming livestream first. Randomly opening a livestream doesn't always mean people will come and watch it, unless you already have a big following to begin with.

I've ran two livestreams in the past two weeks, and they're awesome for understanding your audience and knowing the type of content they want to see. If you're lucky enough, you can also utilize Superchat to earn a bit of extra money.

VeryCoolGuy Construction

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
FYI, to run a test, set your stream to private when you're in the live streaming section on YouTube. I've done that a couple times to make sure my audio/video is good when I make a major change
Thank you for the tips![DOUBLEPOST=1492015930,1492015899][/DOUBLEPOST]
Make sure you notify your audience about your upcoming livestream first. Randomly opening a livestream doesn't always mean people will come and watch it, unless you already have a big following to begin with.

I've ran two livestreams in the past two weeks, and they're awesome for understanding your audience and knowing the type of content they want to see. If you're lucky enough, you can also utilize Superchat to earn a bit of extra money.
Yea we're asking people what time we should go live, thank you for the support!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Do you have to chat to your audience though? Could you not do a certain sequence. If live streaming from a mobile in action, it's pretty hard to chat as well.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Do you have to chat to your audience though? Could you not do a certain sequence. If live streaming from a mobile in action, it's pretty hard to chat as well.
There's definitely different ways to run a livestream. I'm certain people do livestreams that might be less interactive such as showcasing an event or activity. Definitely going to be hard to chat with the audience, but still possible to glance here and there to respond to some questions.

My livestreams are completely interactive where viewers can ask me fitness and health questions or if they want to know a bit more about me. I think these are best for utilizing SuperChat since it drives a lot of chat traffic. I average about 60 messages per a minute when doing Q&As, making it super tough to read all of them. SuperChat gives people the opportunity to have priority messages and help out the creator. It's pretty awesome, IMO. Also takes very little effort to run a Q&A livestream :)

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
You can either disable the chat, or just ignore anything people are saying.