Giveaways - Any Rules or Laws to Follow?

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about doing a giveaway on my channel and was wondering if there was any rules on YouTube about this and what can and cannot be done.

Also, I would like to include international people in it as well so does anyone know if I get a Google Play gift Card or iTunes gift card, if sending them the code will work if they are in another country?

Thanks all for you help!

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Three rules
1) Don't give away something illegal
2) Don't make a scam giveaway
3) Refer to rule 1 and 2, they're important!

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Google the rules definately, you can lose your channel if not done according to the rules.
Try to think again about giveaways though, you will probably end up with a lot of dead subs similar to S4S. That can be fine if that's part of your strategy of course.

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Google the rules definately, you can lose your channel if not done according to the rules.
Try to think again about giveaways though, you will probably end up with a lot of dead subs similar to S4S. That can be fine if that's part of your strategy of course.
The real strategy of our giveaway is to get people involved. It is a 2 part giveaway. The first part they make a pick and the second part will be the actual results and fun part of the giveaway.

Of course if we can draw more traffic to our channel I would not look at that as a bad thing but of course no one wants to bring on dead subs. Hopefully we can grab some active ones.

It is out first giveaway so really can't speak to any success of it towards our channel but I think it will be fun for our regular subscribers.[DOUBLEPOST=1491573656,1491573620][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes there are strict rules / guidelines for running a contest on YouTube (as there are in real life too btw :) ):
Crap, I hate those real life rules and guidelines![DOUBLEPOST=1491599449][/DOUBLEPOST]So I monetized the video as I did not see anything in the rules that said you cannot. If someone knows anything different please let me know.

I didn't monetize for trying to make money as the $1 isn't going to make me rich but I am not sure if YouTube would recommend a monetized video before they would a non-monetized one as their interest is in what's going to make them money.

I would be interested to know if anyone actually knows the answer to that one?

Reactions: Crown