giveaway on a small channel to drive viewer interaction

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I see there is another very similar thread started I almost posted this in that thread then, decided I better start my own.

I have a video idea. my channel is mostly mechanic related stuff with a good bit of semi truck related video's as I own a trucking company. anyway the video idea. has to do with something you can put together and carry in your truck that is very useful. anyone who drives a semi could have a use for one, a lot of people have borrowed mine over the years. id never be without one

so in the video I would show how you can put together your own, and touch on a few of the uses of it and then offer to give away the one I make for the video.

I have some places I can advertise trucking related video's that is good for several hundred-1000 very targeted impressions and has drawn as much as 150 views depending on the content of the video I think a free giveaway could draw more. I have drawn way more organic views on other video's and a video with high viewer interaction could boost that as well.

I'm thinking if I do it what should my conditions be

I'm thinking if video reaches 100 likes 50 comments it will be given away
winner would be picked at random from the first 50 comments
or should I do best comment wins?
some other way of picking the winner?

should I announce the winner in a future video? (help drive subscriptions?) or just contact whoever I pick

is this overall a bad idea for a very young 20 subscriber channel?

weak video idea?

what are your thoughts on likes/comments threshold this would be far greater viewer interaction than iv ever done previously but I think I can draw in a couple hundred views threw promotion to get it started on this idea and high viewer interaction should help drive organic views up.?

what do you think?

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
On my channel, until now I had maybe 3-4 giveaways. They never got big attention, in some cases, users didn`t want to participate at all. So, my advice is if you are going to do giveaways, make it something really worth it, because my giveaways were like 5-10$ stuff and people didn`t even comment to get them :). Definitely, the winner should be in some way random, either with random generator from TubeBuddy or the comment with most likes or something like that.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Crazy Ace

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We have been thinking about doing something like that as well. But I don't think it is worth it right now with our channel being 2 weeks old and 20-30 subs. It's just to small for it to be worth while yet. Instead we are doing an adwords video campaign for now.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
yeah I'm not thinking its going to be my next video thinking maybe a month or so down the line, it does look like I picked up two more subscribers today.

ill have to check out tube buddy iv heard it come up a few times but I honestly have no idea what it is.

what I have in mind isn't real cheap, 30-40 bucks or so. but I can feel good about it if it helps someone out and helps my channel grow at the same time. I'm thinking with some targeted promotion it would be well received. I could be wrong though.

anyone else have any experience with doing giveaways?

Justin West

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You've always got to make sure your money/time out for a campaign like this is worth it. At your current size, the best thing to do is make targeted, valuable content that is SEO optimized with TubeBuddy and that matches what people are searching for already. Then try to do collaborations with influencers in the space. Don't do a giveaway until you have a solid email list and you can leverage a sharing incentive to actually grow your audience. I.e., use KingSumo to encourage social sharing so people have more chances to win depending on how many people they get to click.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
kingsumo is another thing I don't yet know what it is....ill have to look into that as well

still gaining subscribers and growing. its kind of one of them things even if I don't gain much from it but help someone that could use it. id feel good, I think it could be for PR.

I watch much bigger youtuber's in my market some of them I have watched sense they were fairly small and much of there older stuff was much more valuable content then as they got big although there video production quality has gotten better there content has gotten weak. 20 min ramblings that don't stay on topic. I get off topic for 3 seconds or non essential information people are skipping ahead or clicking away. I can only think they get away with it cause people have been watching them and like them personally so they will sit and listen to whatever they have to say.

not saying that I want to be able to ramble off topic for 20 mins but I want to help build a relationship with my viewers.

maybe I could break it up into two video's one to show the one I have and why I think its such a valuable thing to carry with you. then mention that id like to do a video showing how you can build your own that is cheaper and better than you can buy from a store and give one away. ask people if they would like to have a chance to win one to gauge interest.

DougieBoy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Giving away stuff on a channel, people see as a last ditch attempt at gaining subscribers. Even if they do subscribe, as soon as the giveaway is over, they'll probably just un-sub anyways. Remember you want people to subscribe to your channel because they like your videos, not because they might win something.

So my suggestion is not to do that and just focus on your videos.

Reactions: Darren Taylor