GIRLS! Do you feel the need to 'look good' in your videos?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, I don't wear makeup, never have. I'm not a big fan off the stuff, and whenever I've been forced to wear makeup by my sister on special occasions, my lipstick ends up going all over my food (I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS) and the rest of the makeup gets smudged within the hour.
I also don't style my hair at all, much like makeup, I seem to find it too much of a hassle, and so I tend to just leave it as it is.
Now this can be seen clearly in my YouTube videos (which has been on a lack of motivation/creativity & self doubt break), hell, in some videos I'm wearing a onesie :p. Sometimes I do kind of wish I could express myself with my appearance, especially with my hair style and colour, but at other times I simply could not care less, especially with makeup, as I don't even know how to apply it.
So my question to all the ladies of YouTube out there is: Do you always feel the need to make yourself look good when filming videos? Putting on the best makeup, clothes, hair styles etc? Or could you not care less?
I think this would be really interesting to find out :)
(also sorry if I put this in the wrong thread pls don't kill me:D)
Hi there! I think this is all down to the creator tbh! I personally don't feel like I have to wear make up or dress nicely to make videos, but depending on my mood sometimes I just want to! Nothing too fancy, but as a reasonably shy person sometimes feeling good in something like what you're wearing can make me go from a 4 on the confidence scale to like a 7/8! So when I do it's not so much for other people watching the video (I'd rather they watched it for the content I'm making) but to help myself out a lil bit! But I think everyone should do them, if dressing yourself up is you want go for it but never feel you HAVE to to please others :) but I understand there is a lot of pressure out there and bad people as well but I guess it's about blocking out those kind of things to some extent. Youtube is also a great place tho with loads of nice people, especially in communities like this one, so if your content is good and you're clearly passionate about what you're doing, that's what truly matters to me when making a video. So make up etc comes very low down in my concerns! Hope that all made sense :giggle:

Reactions: Becky Keegan

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes, I always feel the need to look good in my videos, which granted, doesn't always go to plan...
I have kind of bad skin in terms of ache and discolouration (not the worst, but it's very noticeable) so I always wear makeup... I have scrapped many videos because I have come to edit them and though 'wow I look like sh**' LOL
But I don't usually style my hair... I don't even know how... I just leave it, it's long and pretty straight so all I do is brush it and leave it haha

Keys

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see it this way, you don't have to style hair or put make up on but you should look presentable. There's a fine line between being comfortable in your own skin and being a slob.

If you don't care enough to present yourself well in your videos, why should someone care to watch it?
Hope this helps! :)

P.S. I may not be a lady but I make these high heels work

ellelletalk

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter
I wish I was one of those "perfect" YouTubers, who always looked put together and gorgeous, but I'm not.

When I film "proper" videos, I try to make an effort. In my Live streams, I'm usually in my pajamas, wearing no makeup, being a bum

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The only makeup I wear for my videos usually is lipstick because I'm obsessed with lipsticks but I do believe once I start learning to put on foundation and do my eyes, you know "cake my face" it will definitely attract more views. But I do know a lot of successful YouTubers who don't wear makeup so I think it depends on the content.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't really count as I haven't shown my face yet, but when I was considering 'face revealing' I also had the same dilemma.
I wear no makeup, and my hairstyle has been the same for 10 years.

Do you put on makeup for your viewers? show them you put on an effort for them?

Or do you appear to them as yourself, be real, and be content with clean fresh and tidy?

I have no idea.

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I like to look good in my videos. Some videos have less makeup or one of them no makeup at all, but it's mostly because I like to look a certain way and that is what makeup means for me in my videos. The same as you want to look a certain way with your hair color and such. If you don't care about it then don't. I want to look like I do care about my appearance but not enough to base a channel on beauty related things because I don't like talking or showing off beauty products or skills. I'm just not passionate about it as a lot of girls are. I'd rather talk about video games or entertainment or music or art or anime than do anything makeup related in my channel, but that's just me...

eidojodie

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally don't wear much make up day to day (just some foundation usually) so it depends in videos on how much I just happen to be wearing that day. I don't make the effort to do a full face of make up because it takes me too long...filming/editing already takes long enough haha! I do however always somewhat do my hair...I don't like my natural hair so I always straighten it. So I suppose I don't feel too under pressure to look good, definitely not by viewers anyway! :)

Natalie

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Maybe a little bit, though I don't really care much about makeup, hair, etc. My main issue is not really about looking good, it's about being seen in the first place. For some reason, I feel weird showing my face in videos, but it's okay because most of my videos don't involve me needing to show my face anyway.

Fox Beat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
A litle bit make up maybe... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk