Girls and Youtube

TooBIG

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Reviewer
I won't lie, I can't watch fashion and beauty vlogs. Not because they aren't interesting but because they make me see just how little style I have. I'm a tee shirt/jeans girl. I don't wear jewelry and my makeup routine is simple and boring...

Girl vloggers sometimes are hard to relate to. They're young or really chirpy. (yea, I think that's the word I wanted) I end up watching male vloggers b/c I like seeing what the guys are up to.

Well you're welcome on my channel anytime. Male vlogger here on a mission to lose over 200lbs down 70 so far.

Reactions: FN_Pryde

TooBIG

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Reviewer
Like I haven't stalked you already... ^_~
Thank you very much. It means a lot to have continued support from people. I've been trying to figure it out, I can't get people to come and watch but have a hard time getting them to hit subscribe.

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Well you can't beat sex appeal.. Cute girls will always win out.. It is just how it works.

Lin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I read through all the pages :O I have to give myself a pat for this one. My attention span usually doesn’t last more than 5 minutes.

I like reading all the posts because they represent diversity views. What I am going to say you might agree/disagree, but it is sharing the thoughts that make YTTalk forum an awesome place to spend time with. I hope I will be able to express my thoughts clearly. Just be warned ahead that I don't mean any negativity ;D

I feel like I read and learned so much from this thread so I should give back my thoughts as well.

@LemonLorraine
"you gotta think outside of the box in order to achieve individuality instead of doing 'My Foundation Routine' for the millionth time."

I have just recently started learning to use makeup (I am old ^o^). I agree that individuality is really important, but I don't fully agree the latter part.

As a newbie in makeup/beauty, I will make a "my foundation routine" video because it is "MY" video and I will do the videos for my own record of seeing how much I have progressed and learned throughout my makeup/beauty experience (assuming I don't quit later LOL). A newbie doesn't start off as a pro, so these kind of videos are like my own diary, where I can see what is already done out there and see if I can follow and do it as well. It is like what my teacher said at one point, "you are not reinventing the wheels."

@Jess Perreca
You are getting a subscriber as soon as I figured out my username since I deleted my old one! LOL.

Sorry that I am going to put you on a spotlight, but you got me thinking. A few people have mentioned that "female gamers" are different and that might have been one of the reasons why guys might have subscribed. To me it isn't uncommon to see female doing weight loss videos, but look :O a male is doing a weight loss channel, that is fresh and interesting. I will subscribe! (of course I will stay only if the content can keep me up that is). As many others have mentioned, the "freshyness" (in this case) will give the creator a head start, just like a good looking female appearance will give the channel a boost at first.

Another thing is I do watch makeup/beauty channel every now and then. There are some really pretty girls but I stopped watching because their contents don't keep me up. Well, their personalities.

Even as a girl (just talking about me), pretty girls WILL catch my attention. But in the end it is the personality/content that will make or break the deal. On the other hand, the not so pretty girls/guys, if their topics catch my interest, I will watch them no matter what :] and the amaze things is, once you spend some time with the person, you will get used to them and might even find them really beautiful ;D

@thestylepartisan
I completely agree that the makeup tutorials/lookbooks are similar to video games! Now only if I like your post more than once! ^O^ I want to use YouTube as a place to share my learning progress and how to do things.

And something interesting... there are some male makeup gurus that really caught my attention! They are really skillful too. It is awkward when I see how guys can do makeup so much better than I, but it is still interesting haha.

@Luve Priscilla
I agree that most girls are into beauty/fashion. And totally agree that it is the interest at the end of the day! I am still trying to figure out what I like haha >.>

Lastly, I remember there is a talk by a Victoria Secret model talking about how she won the "genetic lottery". Her talk doesn’t offer any solution but it brings out the point that if it is something you can make a use out of it, why not? If you have the talent, you can pull it off with the initial push using your bonus features (let it be your look or unique voice or something). In the end, it is still your true talent that will keep things going :] Unless of course you are really just going after for some short fame with whatever types of subs you can get.

Reactions: LemonLorraine

LemonLorraine

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
@LemonLorraine
"you gotta think outside of the box in order to achieve individuality instead of doing 'My Foundation Routine' for the millionth time."

I have just recently started learning to use makeup (I am old ^o^). I agree that individuality is really important, but I don't fully agree the latter part.

As a newbie in makeup/beauty, I will make a "my foundation routine" video because it is "MY" video and I will do the videos for my own record of seeing how much I have progressed and learned throughout my makeup/beauty experience (assuming I don't quit later LOL). A newbie doesn't start off as a pro, so these kind of videos are like my own diary, where I can see what is already done out there and see if I can follow and do it as well. It is like what my teacher said at one point, "you are not reinventing the wheels."
I agree that there are some videos that are different individually and are to be replicated, the foundation one was just an example of something that's typically done. But I am saying that in order to gain followers you need to make videos that are 'different' like tutorials for the April 2013 Cosmo Cover eye makeup on (insert celebrity here) or things that haven't directly been done before. :) It wasn't a dig at the beauty guru realm, as I am subscribed to over 20 of them and think they're fantastic, I'm just saying in order to succeed in a predominantly female video category you need to think outside of the box. :biggrin:

Reactions: Lin

randomlilnikki

Superhero, geek, maker of the loud noises.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian
Well you can't beat sex appeal.. Cute girls will always win out.. It is just how it works.
That's funny because I have heard the exact same thing in reference to boys on youtube. Like 'cute boys will always get the views' or 'any boy with a fringe will be popular' because apparently the all powerful 13-17 y/o girl demographic is on the lookout for boy vloggers with fringes. I think it all depends on how you look at it.

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
That's funny because I have heard the exact same thing in reference to boys on youtube. Like 'cute boys will always get the views' or 'any boy with a fringe will be popular' because apparently the all powerful 13-17 y/o girl demographic is on the lookout for boy vloggers with fringes. I think it all depends on how you look at it.
So I need to get a fringe.