Girls and Youtube

GoonOnFire

I've Got It
Reaction score
This is a non-offensive, very straight to the point thread.

When I look through some comments on youtube, even if they lack humor, whit, ect... if they are written by a cute/hot girl, it's all thumbs up.

I notice girls getting tons of views from content that is completely sub-par. By no means BAD, but you wouldn't think it would be taking in this much attention. Even if the content is terrible, they just upload videos of themselves dressed in a somewhat.... "open" manner, they still make money off of guys simply clicking it because they find them hot.

A video that infuriated me (Cannot find it now) was a video of this girl going "And why do you like my videos!!!??, is it because I'm funny, or awesome, or, ect, ect". As she is saying this, some dude, out of the frame, is pushing her boobs up and down.

I know people found it funny, but it make me think "Yeah, people are out there busting their asses to make videos, to show off their talent and find followers. Yet just because of this talentless, annoying, obnoxious, and trashy girl's genetics, she takes in millions of views for dressing like a **** and has zero f*****g talent."

Now as I said before, by NO MEANS am I picking on girls.

But really, is it easier for girls to start youtube channels if they're attractive?

Reaction score
This is a non-offensive, very straight to the point thread.

When I look through some comments on youtube, even if they lack humor, whit, ect... if they are written by a cute/hot girl, it's all thumbs up.

I notice girls getting tons of views from content that is completely sub-par. By no means BAD, but you wouldn't think it would be taking in this much attention. Even if the content is terrible, they just upload videos of themselves dressed in a somewhat.... "open" manner, they still make money off of guys simply clicking it because they find them hot.

A video that infuriated me (Cannot find it now) was a video of this girl going "And why do you like my videos!!!??, is it because I'm funny, or awesome, or, ect, ect". As she is saying this, some dude, out of the frame, is pushing her boobs up and down.

I know people found it funny, but it make me think "Yeah, people are out there busting their asses to make videos, to show off their talent and find followers. Yet just because of this talentless, annoying, obnoxious, and trashy girl's genetics, she takes in millions of views for dressing like a **** and has zero f*****g talent."

Now as I said before, by NO MEANS am I picking on girls.

But really, is it easier for girls to start youtube channels if they're attractive?
If you look at successful YouTubers (or even new ones), I think the problem is the other way around. Take a look at the top 100 subscribed, and you'll see a mere 20% female. Or watch Benjamin Cook's most recent Becoming YouTube.

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you look at successful YouTubers (or even new ones), I think the problem is the other way around. Take a look at the top 100 subscribed, and you'll see a mere 20% female. Or watch Benjamin Cook's most recent Becoming YouTube.
While I agree, I think it's because not a lot of girls are doing stuff on YouTube. For whatever reason, whenever I find a YouTuber who is really dedicated to making their channel and has any sort of following, 4 times out of 5 it's a guy. Also, a lot of the girls who do make "feminine" videos like a makeup tutorials or covers of their favorite songs. Obviously there are some girls who make good channels, like JennaMarbles, Zeldaxlove64 and lindseystomp, and there are smaller ones too like Lucahjin for example, but they aren't the majority. I browse YouTube a lot, and the vast majority of channels I encounter are men doing things, not women. For whatever reason, they don't seem to do this as much as men.

GoonOnFire

I've Got It
Reaction score
Which is strange because if they wanted to start a channel and just put pictures of themselves in the thumbnails, they already have an advantage.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
NGL girls get a lot of attention just for the fact they're girls on youtube (I'm talking from experience along the lines of new gamer girls getting more attention then a gamer guy..) but hey! If you have the looks and can make money of it just because guys want to watch you and listen to your voice.. why not?? I've used attractive girls in some of my short films for college.. for the simple fact that it's gets guys attention! Just like if you use an attractive guy it get's girls attention :)

PowerfulRedHat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Teenage boys can't help it; they just like pretty girls. Don't worry though, Not many girls make it all the way on looks alone. Some make it to the top via cleavage, or cosplay, but a much greater number of people make it to the top by means of talent and originality.

Don't feel threatened by boobies. :p

P.S.
How many of the top 100 gaming channels are female?

ForeverAlonePrick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Which is strange because if they wanted to start a channel and just put pictures of themselves in the thumbnails, they already have an advantage.
I've seen quite a few channels of "cute girls" doing "cute" comedy videos or vlogs, and they get tens of thousands of subscribers. When you sit back and actually watch the content though, it's innocuous and empty. It's not creative. I honestly think that there are a lot of girls who get popular on YouTube because of their looks. Now that's also a bad thing for them, because instead of having fans who legitimately care about them they just have a bunch of creepy guys jerking off to her image, but it still upsets me to see the high view count that I don't believe they deserve on the basis of their content.

ForeverAlonePrick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
P.S.
How many of the top 100 gaming channels are female?
The largest girl gaming channels I know of are lucahjin (57K) and Donnabellez( 31K). Even then, they just do funny blind playthroughs. For the most part, our culture pushes men towards playing games, so not a lot of gamers are women. Thus, not a lot of the popular gaming women will be women. They just don't do it. I can't think of a single girl who does CoD montages, but countless men who do.

Reactions: PowerfulRedHat

PowerfulRedHat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The largest girl gaming channels I know of are lucahjin (57K) and Donnabellez( 31K). Even then, they just do funny blind playthroughs. For the most part, our culture pushes men towards playing games, so not a lot of gamers are women. Thus, not a lot of the popular gaming women will be women. They just don't do it. I can't think of a single girl who does CoD montages, but countless men who do.
I guess there will always be a line between sexist gender roles and genetic disposition. I don't think it's a bad thing, but it'd simplify things if everybody had similar interests wouldn't it? Hehe. ;)