Getting pirated like crazy - advice needed

Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed there are dozens of channels who have downloaded as many as 150 of our videos and are re-posting them with the same titles, copy, tags.

If I were to file copyright reports against every video, I'd do nothing else the next 2 weeks because the system doesn't let me report an entire channel for infringement.

Any advice? How do we fight this?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Flag them video by video. Wait until each report is processed before you flag another video. After 3 strikes, the channel will be terminated.

Reactions: Shakycow

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
I'm not super experienced at all of this, but for future video uploads of yours, would it be possible to place obvious watermarks of your channel name across the lower third of your videos? Or in some area which would make it difficult for pirates to just upload your videos unedited? It might be an extra thing you could do besides the reporting advice already given above. I noticed some Lego Stop Motion videos with millions of hits being copied and uploaded by new channels. Really awful that :( I really hope you can solve this. Best of luck!

Reactions: User_78298

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just constantly report and fight back. Eventually they move on to an easier target. We report videos constantly and so does our network, but it seems to come in phases. If you just give up, they won't stop.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Flagging every video is certainly time consuming. But on top of that have you asked your subscribers whether or not to help you with that goal?
Cause one person (who owns the content) flagging over 150 videos will take a long time. But 5 to 100 people can get job the done much faster. At least that's how I see it. =]

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Thanks. But that's so much work.
If filing a DCMA take down is too much work, then you're severely limiting your options.

The plus side is that it only requires 3 copyright strikes to have a channel permanently closed. Keeping that in mind, it shouldn't take too long to find a single video, enter the report, wait for the take down email and file another. Repeat a few times and the channel should be gone for good.

It's a time consuming annoyance, but it's necessary if you intend to protect your creations.

Another option, one I haven't bothered with (and have heard mixed reactions from those who have) would be to join a network that would add your works to Content ID. This would allow the system to automatically find anyone using your work, but you'd have to be a part of a network that offers this and fulfill any of the requirements they may have.

Reactions: Crown

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That good news, simply join YouTube network and with content ID protection you will be able to monetize all of those videos. Its like someone is helping you to earn more money, basically a gold mine.

Starfire

Reaction score
A faster way might just be to send a direct e-mail to copyright@youtube.com
I have done this in the past and I can tell you that it is read by a real human being, and usually
there is a response within 3-4 business days.
The more blatant it is, the faster is will be acted on.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You can flag multiple videos on a channel with a single report (you still have to fetch the URLs though).
Flag 5-6 entirely reuploaded videos per channel and they should be removed in a week or so (from my experience).