Getting past that 'awkward' start

CJsToyBox

Reaction score
Great comments! My day job is selling inside sales B2B and I think the challenge for an "informative" channel is the same - how do you confidently present info with authority when you are just getting your bearings? What I did when I first started doing BD and what I recommend to our rookies is always fake it till you make it and the natural style with which you are comfortable with eventually come through. I'm an introvert that isn't big on "gripping and grinning" but I'm making friends on the phone all day and helping people solve problems. Present naturally, smile, be humble and even sometimes self-deprecating and I think people with be drawn to your personality along with the info. That's usually what keeps them coming back. A great example I've recently seen is Peter McKinnon. Super fast growth based on an engaging personality and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Juke Joint Gaming

Reaction score
I read some place that you don't really get comfortable with it until you've done about 60 videos. With that said I am well over that and still don't feel comfortable yet.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My first ever video is awful! So cringe... But it started me on my journey. Today it has over 100k views and netted me over $300. Its an over the shoulder video using my Iphone showing people how to vinyl wrap. Dislikes are treble the likes! I have made only better videos since this but we all have to start somewhere!

Isthisawalrus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten past that yet... I think.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just like anything, practice makes perfect!

If you watch my first video from 9 months ago, to my first one last week, you can definitely tell the difference in my commentary and editing style. it's bizarre.
Enjoyed your video in your signature mate, really funny :)

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey my first videos were very awkward and the cringiest part is that my first series actually got a decent number of views. I was using the built in mic in my laptop to record mobile game guide and tips videos. It was super awkward but I would say once I started doing videos more frequently they got easier to do. The more you can make the more natural it will start to feel. It definitely took me over 100 videos before I started to get my current personality.

CMS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
your commentary is not bad though and not awkward if you still feel your latest one is .

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I look at my awkwardness as a learning experience. I can't expect to be good on video within the first few videos, maybe not even the first 20, 30 or 40! I'll look back after 6 months to 1 year and see how far I've come.

People can be too hard on themselves. Anything worth doing takes time and practice :)

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
your commentary is not bad though and not awkward if you still feel your latest one is .
Don't know if this is in response to my post or other posts:cautious2:

CMS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't know if this is in response to my post or other posts:cautious2:
I mean I looked at your latest videos and I dont feel they are awkward compared to others but thats probably just me. tbh I would watch your channel and thats a compliment. was just saying since you stated it still felt somewhat awkward? I dont have any tips nor tricks to say since I havent any experience but just here to give out my opinion :)

Reactions: spartanfit1