Getting past that 'awkward' start

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How did you all get past the awkward first few videos you did?

I have a dozen or so videos on my channel but I still feel like my commentary is somewhat awkward. I wonder if any of you folks have any tips or suggestions on how to get past it?

Cheers:thumbsup2:

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just like anything, practice makes perfect!

If you watch my first video from 9 months ago, to my first one last week, you can definitely tell the difference in my commentary and editing style. it's bizarre.

Reactions: Itsjoshshepherd

Diversified Unison

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Other
First few videos are always the awkward ones. Whenever I look back to my first videos it makes me laugh lol :p
Just don't look back and learn from the past. Just move forward. :D

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I technique I kinda picked up is essentially playing a character of yourself. Take some of your best traits and amp them up on steroids. A lot of my friends tell me I tend to be arrogant, so I embrace that for comedic effect. I call my viewers 'scrubs', introduce myself as 'the one and only', and refer to my videos as 'quality content.' Be over the top and weird and unique, as long as you can pull it off. And the best part about seeing yourself like a character in videos is that you won't have to worry about people judging you. They're judging your internet persona. And that's a good thing. The more you do that can be judged, the more people can relate to you, honestly. And like everyone else says, it does take practice. First videos are always gonna be awkward, cause you're still figuring everything out. If people say you're cringey, be the god of cringe. Embrace it. That's my advice.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

I have a dozen or so videos on my channel but I still feel like my commentary is somewhat awkward. I wonder if any of you folks have any tips or suggestions on how to get past it?

I was incredibly dull and awkward for pretty much my entire first year on YouTube lol. You will definitely get better in time, just try to smile and be lively while making your videos (you don't have to be over the top but just be enthusiastic).

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

This is what I do,
1) Plan what you have to say, then say it in the most natural way

2) Have several takes, then you can pick the best one

3) Edit out any awkward pauses/silences

4) have something in your hand whilst you are talking. It will stop any involuntary fidgeting and you can focus on talking to the camera.
I liked holding onto a cup of tea as I'm talking.

Hope this helps, but not sure if you are talking about talking to the camera or "voice only" commentary

Honestly, I didn't jump in front of the camera until my 10th upload

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is what I do,
1) Plan what you have to say, then say it in the most natural way

2) Have several takes, then you can pick the best one

3) Edit out any awkward pauses/silences

4) have something in your hand whilst you are talking. It will stop any involuntary fidgeting and you can focus on talking to the camera.
I liked holding onto a cup of tea as I'm talking.

Hope this helps, but not sure if you are talking about talking to the camera or "voice only" commentary

Honestly, I didn't jump in front of the camera until my 10th upload
So far i am just doing voice only commentary since I am just starting out, but thanks for the advice.

Thanks everyone else for the advice as well :thanksthumbs:

Reactions: Stike96

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great advice here! I would add: watch your own videos and take a few quick notes on what is working, what you like. Ignore the negative for now and just concentrate on what you're doing right, then play up those strengths in future videos.

Eventually you will drive out most of the awkwardness.

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great advice here! I would add: watch your own videos and take a few quick notes on what is working, what you like. Ignore the negative for now and just concentrate on what you're doing right, then play up those strengths in future videos.

Eventually you will drive out most of the awkwardness.
Thanks!

Reactions: babyteeth4

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Practice and more practice, watching what you have created, taking notes and doing better next time. Small improvements everytimeslowly add up, also not putting too much pressure on yourself helps a lot.

Reactions: spartanfit1