getting my stuff into 50 million brains

paul wheaton

Reaction score
My channel currently gets about 400,000 views per month. Mostly "how to" ish stuff for farmers, gardeners, home builders and the like.

I got an invite to join a network. Until today I didn't know there was such a thing.

I have done very little with my channel. I'm not even sure what a lot of the settings are for.

The stuff about a special banner and what not has no interest to me. The one thing that would make sense is that a network might pour caffeine all over my growth rate. There's probably lots of things I don't know about that they might say "you're not even ____ ?!?!" and then, ZOOM, my views double.

Maybe there is a PR stuff that gets your videos in some sort of bigger media channels. Maybe ... all sorts of things.

My stuff is currently monetized, which is fine. I guess if they double my traffic, then giving up 20% turns out to actually put more money in my pocket.

But do they do that? So far, everything I have read sounds like this is not part of what they offer.

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A network's primary function is to sell advertising. In most cases, they should be able to get you a better advertising rate, so you earn more money-in return, you have to fork over a percentage to them each month.

If you're not really doing much with your channel, there are things they can do to help you grow, but the value of that is somewhat overstated. In most cases, they'll just have you read a handbook online. It's good info, but not something you can't find online for free within 10 seconds doing a simple search on google.

Don't expect them to promote your channel like crazy to make it grow. You would need an advertising or PR firm for that.

If the bottom line of what you're looking for is more money in your pocket, then ask them for that and see if they're willing to make you an offer that would make that possible.

I recommend you read Freddie Wong's blog article about youtube networks. He's one of the top 10 most subscribed on youtube and while you won't be able to get the kind of deal he gets, the same concepts still apply: http://www.rocketjump.com/blog/youtube-networks-7-things-you-need-to-know

Reactions: Talooka

Jason Ingersoll

ingerock productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Don't Join a Network if you get 400k views a month you are basically giving them the keys to your kingdom.[DOUBLEPOST=1356576253,1356576114][/DOUBLEPOST]First thing I would do if I was you is change your youtube homepage/channel page so that a featured video plays when a user goes to your channel not the feed.

My channel currently gets about 400,000 views per month. Mostly "how to" ish stuff for farmers, gardeners, home builders and the like.

I got an invite to join a network. Until today I didn't know there was such a thing.

I have done very little with my channel. I'm not even sure what a lot of the settings are for.

The stuff about a special banner and what not has no interest to me. The one thing that would make sense is that a network might pour caffeine all over my growth rate. There's probably lots of things I don't know about that they might say "you're not even ____ ?!?!" and then, ZOOM, my views double.

Maybe there is a PR stuff that gets your videos in some sort of bigger media channels. Maybe ... all sorts of things.

My stuff is currently monetized, which is fine. I guess if they double my traffic, then giving up 20% turns out to actually put more money in my pocket.

But do they do that? So far, everything I have read sounds like this is not part of what they offer.

Creator X

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Intriguing channel you have there. :)

In most cases... networks won't help you grow firsthand. It really depends on the tools they offer and if you utilize those tools, so it's important to research what they're offering and see if it's stuff that affects growth and if you will use those tools. (more promotion, more money, better advice)

As far as PR... we see a lot of potential for you to promote your videos to blogs and news sites. (at least, based on the light bulb video) Of course, you can do this without a network and in most cases a network won't provide this by default.

As far as channel banner and thumbnails... don't discount those things! A more professional image can indeed affect growth! Anyway, you can probably get those without going through a network. ;)

As far as your channel... I think thinking about the "Show" direction would be good. (whether on that channel or another) You have the inklings of something like that and people obviously like your content. Congrats on how far you've gotten it!

Hope that helps!

paul wheaton

Reaction score
So the network is not going to supply me with what would be the thing I want most: more views via some sort of promotion.

I suppose I should put more time into PR, thumbnails and whatnot - but my time is pretty consumed with content. Not just the videos, but also podcasts, articles, forums and a variety of other projects.

So, maybe I should look at improving the thumbnails on my videos. What might be something outside of a network to try for a few videos? (I have 160 videos)

I've been reading a lot of the threads here about networks. Maybe I should start reading threads about how to rank better on related videos (that seems to be where my videos get the most views).

Once in a while I'll get a spike in traffic when a big website features one of my videos. I guess I was thinking that a network would have contacts to those places and influence. Is there a person or service that might have that sort of connection/influence?

Jason Ingersoll

ingerock productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So the network is not going to supply me with what would be the thing I want most: more views via some sort of promotion.

I suppose I should put more time into PR, thumbnails and whatnot - but my time is pretty consumed with content. Not just the videos, but also podcasts, articles, forums and a variety of other projects.

So, maybe I should look at improving the thumbnails on my videos. What might be something outside of a network to try for a few videos? (I have 160 videos)

I've been reading a lot of the threads here about networks. Maybe I should start reading threads about how to rank better on related videos (that seems to be where my videos get the most views).

Once in a while I'll get a spike in traffic when a big website features one of my videos. I guess I was thinking that a network would have contacts to those places and influence. Is there a person or service that might have that sort of connection/influence?

Don't sell yourself short with a network. Most will not promote your site, give you more subs or views. You have already did a good job of that on your own. My suggestion is to take 30% of your adsense earnings and start an adwords campaign. Thats a great way to grow your channel and google takes care of all the promotion work.

AreYouAwareBro

I check out your videos if you comment on mine!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'll send you $25 if you put my video in a small thumbnail at the end of your next video ;)

ChannelOlli

High quality gaming guides!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Either stay on your own or negotiate with Maker Studios, they would actually be something good for you. (Premium ads, opportunities,etc)

paul wheaton

Reaction score
I'll send you $25 if you put my video in a small thumbnail at the end of your next video ;)
So a valuable technique for me to explore is embedding other videos at the end of my video. Is there a thread here that explains how to do that?[DOUBLEPOST=1356618358,1356618302][/DOUBLEPOST]
Either stay on your own or negotiate with Maker Studios, they would actually be something good for you. (Premium ads, opportunities,etc)
So they would take part of my income, but they would also raise my income?

What sort of opportunities?